• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cowhide safety?

SunfireKat

Moving in
Real Name
Kat
I know leather itself is safe for birds, I have bought toys with leather plenty of times in the past...but after some research I understand that the leather in the toys has been vegetable tanned, and most leather products (rugs, lackets, shoes etc) are chromium tanned. I am wondering about the safety of a chromium tanned cowhide rug that I will use in my home as wall art (the birds can't reach it to chew). I messaged the company and they said there is no scotch guarding used, so that part is good, but I'm just wondering about any smells that are present from the chromium tanning process and if it may be harmful to my babies. Does anyone have any experience here? Comments? I feel like maybe I'm being overly cautious, as I have never heard of a leather jacket or sofa or anything harming a parrot, but I just worry. Photo attached of one of my girls just for fun

Attachments

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
The only thing I have against cowhide and rawhide is that when they get wet they stay wet long enough to develop fungi and mold.
Sorry I know nothing about tanning processes.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Kat! 1.welcome signs.gif

(Sorry, I don´t know the answer to your question)

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Where is the leather coming from? Do not hang any hides coming into the US from a different country anywhere near your birds. Due to import laws, countries (China is a big one to worry about, but hides from Brazil and Mexico are subject to same laws) shipping into the states apply pesticide as well as preservative to the hides. Some cases, a wrinkle inhibitor is also sprayed so that hair on hides don’t severely crease- as that can cause the hair to slip. And while I’m solidly in Buffalo and beef country and only buy American hide, I’m not saying that some companies in those countries don’t or can’t produce good hides. It’s just that they have to follow regulations on imported animal products.

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
If possible, I would look into finding a cowhide that is tanned using the vegetable tanning method, rather than chrome tanning.

It is harder to find (and more expensive), but the resulting hide has significantly less risk of being toxic. From what I know about chrome tanning processes, a lot of heavy metals and really nasty chemicals are involved. It has a high environmental cost in areas that do a lot of tanning, which is one of the reasons why a lot of leather products are tanned in countries with lax environmental and health regulations. Due to the heavy processing, chrome-tanned leather is considered a synthetic product, while vegetable-tanned leather is more "natural" and safer.

Considering the chemicals involved, I don't imagine the finished product of chrome tanning would be all that bird-safe, especially if there is any risk of the bird chewing the cowhide. Since it will be wall-mounted, that might not be an issue in your case. From what I've heard, some new chrome-tanned leather products will also have a strong chemical odor. This should reduce with time and airing out, but you would want to keep your birds away as long as there is any harsh smell.

As Sparkles already recommended, avoid buying a cheap cowhide that was tanned overseas and imported into the USA. If possible, I would look for a domestic company that produces cowhides using vegetable tanning. They are less likely to use some of the more dangerous chemical tanning and preservation methods, so the finished product will hopefully be safer.

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Can we see pics of your other fids

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hard to believe but I've bought toys before from vendors that couldn't tell me their leather was vegetable tanned (not a vendor from Avian Avenue). Even the leather strings!

I threw those toys away. No sense taking chances.

If your bird likes leather, check out Parrot Pockets. MC used to cuddle to his after bashing it during the day. I sure miss that guy.