• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cowboy update?

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Cowboy hates me. He scuttles around any time I'm even bringing food. Which he is eating plenty of. He is scarfing down everything from Harrisons to my birdy pilaf, to chop. He's playing with the toys I made lovingly with my own hands. Shredding them to bits. He has finally started booping a bit, and he says a few words. So he seems like he is settling in, and if only I had a p**is I think we'd be getting along swimmingly. He likes men. That slattern who had him before probably treated him very roughly.

I doubt there will be photos soon, because I wouldn't dream of trying to get him out of his cage until we have to go to the vet. The cage he's in is a playtop, so they are kind of dark for taking pictures from, say, the cage door to whatever corner he has scuttled to. I know I sound like one of Gaylas posters.

the important thing is he is safe now. He appears to be very healthy. If he isn't, then well get him there. And we'll just accept each other how we are. Sniff. I do think that once he's out of quarantine and can play/interact with Bella, he will feel even better. :pooryou:

romancia

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nikki
Aww big hugs for the both of you :hug8:Hopefully once he gets settled in that will change:)

Cyreen

Rollerblading along the road
It's going to take time, patience and perseverance and when you finally win him over... you're gonna love that little man that :hug8:much more!

sweet francis

Jogging around the block
Real Name
lindsey
Did you see my post on Garance's thread? He's a grey, not a 'too. I think it takes so much more time and patience to earn a grey's trust, let alone affection. I know it is hard to not take personally since I watch it daily between the Mr. and Edie. Edie is slowly coming around for him with patience (and walnuts!), and she's been with us now for almost 2 months. I think if he would stop trying to force scritches on her she might actually gain trust quicker, but he keeps insisting on trying instead of listening to me when I tell him to just be content to hold her for now. It might take a long time, and I have no idea what that's like so I can only imagine how emotionally difficult it must be. We're here to support you, sweet lady!! Again, hang in there ❤

Momto3boys

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Brandy
Oh Katy :hug8::hug8:
I agree, its just going to take los of time and patience, maybe when he can see you interacting with your other birds he will realize what he's missing out on.

Nevermores Mum

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kacie
Oh Katy, I am sorry! Its a bummer to feel that way... But it hasnt been long. Older birds (meaning not babies) take time to settle in. I fostered a Severe who bit every chance he got and hated my guts the first 6mos. But by the time he was adopted, he was begging me to stay and saying "I love You". You never know. Things will turn around. Chin up.

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Did you see my post on Garance's thread? He's a grey, not a 'too. I think it takes so much more time and patience to earn a grey's trust, let alone affection. I know it is hard to not take personally since I watch it daily between the Mr. and Edie. Edie is slowly coming around for him with patience (and walnuts!), and she's been with us now for almost 2 months. I think if he would stop trying to force scritches on her she might actually gain trust quicker, but he keeps insisting on trying instead of listening to me when I tell him to just be content to hold her for now. It might take a long time, and I have no idea what that's like so I can only imagine how emotionally difficult it must be. We're here to support you, sweet lady!! Again, hang in there ❤
Ouch, sorry I got that mixed up. I think it is going to take a long time. That was always my assumption. But when I see him so calm and accepting of others (usually men) I ask myself why doesn't he like me? He knows me better than them?

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
We have had a small breakthrough. Last night I woke up in the middle of the night (as per custom :rofl:) and turned on a small light so I could find my way to the bathroom. Cowboy is quarantined in the bedroom, attached. I always walk really slowly past the cage and don't look at him while passing. I realized once I got back into bed, just as I was turning out the light, that Cowboy had braved his way out of the cage. I have left the cage door open almost constantly, closing it only when I leave the house. I have left the playstand pushed up towards the door, so he can easily climb out. Every morning I have offered food for him on it, but he wouldn't come out.

So now it's the middle of the night and he's on it! I quickly turned off the light. This morning when it got light I could see he was still there. So I slid off the other side of the bed and quickly scrambled a third of an egg yolk. Put it in a playstand food cup and walked very slowly towards him. Due to where he was standing, I think he felt safer to stay than try to get back in the cage. I screwed the cup on and left. He ate the whole thing in under two minutes. I then managed to get some birdy bread, chop, and yam in a cup. He didn't run, but at first opportunity he made for safety. But that's ok. It's progress. I mainly want him to understand that there's food and treats on the playstand. Then later, maybe we can manage other things from there.

Thanks for the support everybody. I'm going through a really tough time with my Dad right now, who has vascular dementia. He's been very agitated and struck another patient and clocked a member of the staff. They are pumping him full of terrible drugs now and hallucinating, etc. his wife is poa and barely speaks to us. I saw my Dad for some lovely visits in Dec & Jan and I now realize that was the last time I will ever really see him. He is 800 miles away. One of my brothers went down this week and my Dad didn't know him.

so I feel very vulnerable and sad. But I think little tiny steps are being made with my latest gunslinger. Oh, and he made a hysterical space ship noise. Just once, but it made the dog jump. Hah!

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
:hug8::hug8: I've been there with Dale and currently with my linnie who loved his breeder (who was a woman) Smooches has been with me for about 9 months and still doesn't like me. I just accept him and hope one day he will come around.
I know how hard it is not to take it personally, but remember he doesn't hate you, he is just scared and like you said a woman was probably not so nice to him:(

:hug8::hug8:

Nevermores Mum

Real Name
Kacie
Katy, I am incredibly sorry to hear about your dad... My dad passed last year on my birthday and Losing him was horrendous. I cant imagine how it must feel to seem as if you have lost someone who is really still here. Please stay positive. I wish your family the best.

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Katy, I am incredibly sorry to hear about your dad... My dad passed last year on my birthday and Losing him was horrendous. I cant imagine how it must feel to seem as if you have lost someone who is really still here. Please stay positive. I wish your family the best.
Thanks, Kacie, I'm sorry for your loss as well. On your birthday. Hopefully your memories will become sweet over the coming years. I would rather he just be taken than to have him suffer. He was terrified, saying he was in a war internment camp and "they" were after him. So sad. My father had a fine, fine, mind. I will miss it.

sweet francis

Jogging around the block
Real Name
lindsey
Ouch, sorry I got that mixed up. I think it is going to take a long time. That was always my assumption. But when I see him so calm and accepting of others (usually men) I ask myself why doesn't he like me? He knows me better than them?
I didn't mean to offend comparing him to a 'too :( Francis was very accepting of both Addam and myself right off as well like Garance's BE2, and our grey has been so incredibly different with everything. She's more of a biter, but also a baby who is being trained. She's just more cautious in general. I sincerely hope for the best for you two.

I'm so sorry about your father. Dealing with aging and illness with parents is probably one of the hardest life issues we have to go through IMO. Hugs to you ❤

Nevermores Mum

Real Name
Kacie
Thanks, Kacie, I'm sorry for your loss as well. On your birthday. Hopefully your memories will become sweet over the coming years. I would rather he just be taken than to have him suffer. He was terrified, saying he was in a war internment camp and "they" were after him. So sad. My father had a fine, fine, mind. I will miss it.
Oh Katy! :( That is just awful... I am so sad for your family. I truly wish your father some peace. As Saemma said, OPTIMISM. Maybe they will get his meds sorted out enough to where he is comfortable.