• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cover cage

ConureMama

Sitting on the front steps
Do y’all cover your cage at night?? If so, how many hours?

Craftydan

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dan Crews
Not ours.

She never liked it, and the room she sleeps in is plenty dark when the overheads are off. (also would make it harder to spy on her from the babycam ;) )

Usually gets about 11-12 hrs/night -- to bed around 6:30-7, lights automatically dim over the next half hour, up again at 6:30-7 the next morning.

peachypjm

Strolling the yard
Do y’all cover your cage at night?? If so, how many hours?
depends on the bird! I layer blankets as it's very cold where I live at the moment ! Mercury doesn't like complete darkness and doesn't like to be fully covered until he's asleep! He's layered with blankets on all sides of the cage, when I'm done I just pull up the front a bit so he can see me so he knows it's not scary! I keep a dim light on for him too until he sleeps, then I pull the blanket back down ! :pinksmile:

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
I have a lightweight, white cover for my bird's sleeping cage at night! (lets in some light, but mainly just stops her from seeing me and yelling at me to come get her). She sleeps in my room, so I have her covered for as long as I sleep!

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
We cover the top half of the cages leaving the bottom uncovered for air flow and a bit of light.

SeñorBirb

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ella
I use a fitted sheet to cover a side of the cage and block some light and keep drafts out. Of course, it depends on the bird!

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Nope...they have their own room and it freaks me out to think about them chewing on the covering.

TrueBlue

Strolling the yard
I do, 10-12 hours. They are up in the family room so there's still foot traffic and it would distract them seeing us walking back and forth all night if I didn't cover them.