• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cover at night?

lpeonyc

Meeting neighbors
Hi all! My cockatiel Charlie has been with us for 4 months now and since we brought him home we have always covered his cage up completely at night (obviously leaving breathing room all the way round) so it is blacked out. I am learning more about night frights and how you are supposed to leave one side open so they still feel protected but also can get their bearings to calm down quicker. I am just unsure whether to start leaving one side open now to follow what is best, or keep covering him up completely because that’s what he’s used to. Thanks for the help x :tieln:

Last edited:

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
I personally only cover one side of the cage facing the window during the night, the open side is facing the hallway light (night lights are not enough light for my birds) . In the morning I’ll cover the cage in the front if they wake early due too too much light. My birds are very prone to night frights so this works well for me.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Has Charlie had any night frights? If not, I would keep doing what your doing. My birds sleep in a near pitch black closet, and never have night frights. Different things work for different birds.

Chris82

Strolling the yard
Is it true that Lutino's are more susceptible to night frights?

lpeonyc

Meeting neighbors
Has Charlie had any night frights? If not, I would keep doing what your doing. My birds sleep in a near pitch black closet, and never have night frights. Different things work for different birds.
he hasn’t had any night frights before but reading more into it I obviously want to avoid them. That makes me feel a lot better to know how your birds sleep x