• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cousin got a Quaker, is freaking out about head shaking

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
This is a very mild quaker shake. It's a baby behavior that he is growing out of which is why it's not so pronounced. Could be begging, or just looking to be comforted or needing a little confidence boost.
Dawww poor baby. It makes sense, apparently he was previously housed with siblings so he’s probably a bit freaked being alone.

ems08

Walking the driveway
My quaker did a lot of the same motion as a baby as well, which I attributed to typical quaking. It is alarming at first since it's so unusual, but he often made little peeping noises kind of like "brrrrp" at the same time which made me more confident it wasn't vomiting. So that gets my vote too based on the videos!

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
It doesn't appear anything is coming out - I went in to check and see, and it is like a fast "no" head shaking. I sat him on my arm and felt nothing when he did it, and when holding a mirror next to him, nothing spattered on the mirror.

I did do a Google search for "quaker parrot head shaking" and there were a couple videos during which the owners stated it really was a bit of a "no thank you" response - Could this be correct at all? He'll definitely be going to the vet regardless, I'm very big on check ups of any new animal to make sure everything is good to go.
I think thsts possible explanation. My young male quaker did this side to side as a baby. It took me awhile to figure out that was his no, I don't want you petting me. He would also make a specific vocalization. He was friendly, but independent. So at times he did this to let me know hey leave me alone I'm exploring, or hey no cuddling right now. Even tho he grew up to be very cuddling.

So I can't tell you for sure ...

But yes I had one do this. And if thats what he he is doing dont force interactions. You can still have him out or on you and talking visit. But respect a hands off ask

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
My quaker did a lot of the same motion as a baby as well, which I attributed to typical quaking. It is alarming at first since it's so unusual, but he often made little peeping noises kind of like "brrrrp" at the same time which made me more confident it wasn't vomiting. So that gets my vote too based on the videos!
Yeah, he’s making short little purr-like noises, which is pretty cute. Little “brrrrt brrrt brrrt” noises as he explores around

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I think thsts possible explanation. My young male quaker did this side to side as a baby. It took me awhile to figure out that was his no, I don't want you petting me. He would also make a specific vocalization. He was friendly, but independent. So at times he did this to let me know hey leave me alone I'm exploring, or hey no cuddling right now. Even tho he grew up to be very cuddling.

So I can't tell you for sure ...

But yes I had one do this. And if thats what he he is doing dont force interactions. You can still have him out or on you and talking visit. But respect a hands off ask
He’s a funny little thing. He’s like a puppy, just mouthing everything (without force). As he walks around, he’s making short purr sounds, like “brrrt brrrt”. He’s pretty stinkin’ cute. But so much more independent explorations than my tiel, who needs to be up my nose at all times.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Ok just watched video. Yes thsts what mine did when he didn't want me touching his head as a baby. same sound too. And same still wanted to hang out and be close. At other times he very much wanted head scratches.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Ok just watched video. Yes thsts what mine did when he didn't want me touching his head as a baby. same sound too. And same still wanted to hang out and be close. At other times he very much wanted head scratches.
That’s what’s so weird. He’s saying “no touchy” but at the same time is shoving his face into my palm. Like a cat - “NO TOUCH no I lied please touch NO TOUCH”

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I know nothing about Quakers or babies but I can say with confidence HE IS SO CUTE
He’s so freaking precious. And then he’ll puff himself all out and looks ten times as big, like a fat blue chick.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I had to make a YouTube

edit to add that I have a toddler, please excuse the tornado mess in the background.

In this one he is displaying some anxiety about the dogs being near. He wants to keep an eye on them .

As a note , no matter how good your dog is, don't have them on your lap at the same time.

If he us wanting to be receptive to head scratches he will fluff his neck feathers and or lower his head with feathers fluffed.

To me this is a polite don't pet my head right now

ems08

Walking the driveway
Yeah, he’s making short little purr-like noises, which is pretty cute. Little “brrrrt brrrt brrrt” noises as he explores around
Yup, that's it exactly! The noise is so cute. I don't remember a particular context to when Riley would do that motion, so as far if it was a "no touch" from him too I'm not sure. He is very hands off though and doesn't like head scratches. He likes when I cover his head with my hand, but no scratches lol. So it's very possible!

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
In this one he is displaying some anxiety about the dogs being near. He wants to keep an eye on them .

As a note , no matter how good your dog is, don't have them on your lap at the same time.

If he us wanting to be receptive to head scratches he will fluff his neck feathers and or lower his head with feathers fluffed.

To me this is a polite don't pet my head right now
Totally understand regarding the dogs. Gidget (chihuahua in the background) is oblivious to anything that isn’t her food dish, and Watson (the hairy muppet just out of frame) is curious, but skittish. While I would never leave a bird unsupervised with them, I do have full trust in my knowledge of their personality/reactions to things. Ie: They’re dumb as bricks but sweet as pie.

I’m not surprised small fry is wary of them though, they’re likely a new occurrence for him. Although he did flutter about and land on Gidget a minute ago - She stopped everything, mid step with a paw raised, and just looked at me like “WHAT DO???”

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Totally understand regarding the dogs. Gidget (chihuahua in the background) is oblivious to anything that isn’t her food dish, and Watson (the hairy muppet just out of frame) is curious, but skittish. While I would never leave a bird unsupervised with them, I do have full trust in my knowledge of their personality/reactions to things. Ie: They’re dumb as bricks but sweet as pie.

I’m not surprised small fry is wary of them though, they’re likely a new occurrence for him. Although he did flutter about and land on Gidget a minute ago - She stopped everything, mid step with a paw raised, and just looked at me like “WHAT DO???”
His extended neck and slicked down head feathers in video show nervousness.

I have dogs as well. And they are awesome, raised as puppies with parrots in the house. But there have been reactions, a Startle, a response to a parrot fly over, jealousy. I can only urge , as strong as I can, do not let a dog be within striking distance of bird ever. Extreme caution while this one can't fly but might flutter out of reach of you but within a dogs reach. So many have been killed by awesome sweet dogs.
I'm always cautious. I always make mine stay away . I'm always worried. Best practices is to have them locked up while parrot is out. Mine are in the same room with us , 2 have been around parrots 15 years and 2 , 7 years...I still would never trust them.

I've worked with animals and wildlife my whole career. A prey response can be triggered at any time.

Ok its just because I've seen so many killed/severely injured and I care that I really try to impress that on you, and even to remind myself.

Gorgeous little baby. Congrats

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
His extended neck and slicked down head feathers in video show nervousness.

I have dogs as well. And they are awesome, raised as puppies with parrots in the house. But there have been reactions, a Startle, a response to a parrot fly over, jealousy. I can only urge , as strong as I can, do not let a dog be within striking distance of bird ever. Extreme caution while this one can't fly but might flutter out of reach of you but within a dogs reach. So many have been killed by awesome sweet dogs.
I'm always cautious. I always make mine stay away . I'm always worried. Best practices is to have them locked up while parrot is out. Mine are in the same room with us , 2 have been around parrots 15 years and 2 , 7 years...I still would never trust them.

I've worked with animals and wildlife my whole career. A prey response can be triggered at any time.

Ok its just because I've seen so many killed/severely injured and I care that I really try to impress that on you, and even to remind myself.

Gorgeous little baby. Congrats
Totally agree!
I have just seen two posts today on Instagram from people who lost their birds in the last 24 hrs, both were warned about letting their sweet uninterested dogs so close to the birds only a very short time back, now they have no birds and cant look at their dogs... not ever worth the gamble no matter the dog.

The two warnings I see and hear the most of are about predator pets being allowed to be way too close to birds and clipped birds not being safe to take outdoors- the two losses I also see and hear most of are clipped birds flying away or seriously injuring themselves and other house pet attacks on birds.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
@Shezbug @Pixiebeak I absolutely promise I use caution. Working in a vet clinic, I see a lot of situations where the owner wasn’t paying attention/something happened/startle attack/etc. The only situation I’ve been in myself where there wasn’t 1000% focus was when taking that video, but I did have my partner in the room with a hand on Watson as well, so I felt safe to take the video. I do my best to ensure everyone’s safety.

I appreciate your concern, it’s good to know people are on the lookout :heart: