• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Couscous Question

Fife3000

Strolling the yard
I notice couscous dries out fairly quickly after its cooked. If you serve it to your chicks, how do you keep it fresh? Can it be precooked and kept sealed in fridge for a few days?
Would it make a good nestling food along with ground broccoli, boiled egg and a dry non egg nestling food (Pineta-Blanco Espanol), mixed together. Maybe some ground apple as well.
My birds are on eggs again, but Im very nervous about a repeat of my last chick deaths. I do think leaving out the boiled egg too long may have been an issue! Especially on these hot days. Maybe I should keep my windows and keep the room at a lower temp. Its been 90+ outside. My birds gets daily baths and fresh cold water.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I don't feed couscous, which is pasta, because it's mainly carbs. I don't feed a lot of carbs because birds don't get near the exercise in our homes they do in the wild. IMO, you'd be better off using quinoa, amaranth, or something like that.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Interesting! I avoid couscous because it’s a pasta made from wheat, but I looked it up and it offers some protein and the glycemic index is fairly low.

So would it make a good nestling food in the recipe like you mentioned? I think so. It’s probably better than the fairly traditional boiled egg with bread crumbs.

Don’t beat yourself up too much over the baby deaths. It could have been something completely out of your control.

I have 3 society finches on nests righ now. I mean, societies. They raise everyone’s babies with no trouble. There were 7, 3, and 4 in the nests. Today it’s 7, 1, and 2. I have no idea what is going on.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
With those temps, you're going to have to be very vigilant of any fresh food you offer. Nothing will last long at those temps.

Fife3000

Strolling the yard
With those temps, you're going to have to be very vigilant of any fresh food you offer. Nothing will last long at those temps.
I decided to close windows, to keep temp in the 70's. No sense in a hot and humid bird room.