• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

counre limping need help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kriz2fer

Checking out the neighborhood
Today i got home from work and noticed my gina was not using her foot, she is limping and not wanting to put weight on her foot for some reason. i looked at the foot and it looks normal and is not swallen or broken from what i see but im very scared and not sure what i should do. I took all the perches out and shes just sitting on the bottom of her cadge.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Could she be egg bound? Somethimes an egg can press on a nerve. If this is the case she needs to get to an avian vet ASAP.

Did you check over her feet and leg's to see if maybe she has a thread or string wrapped tight around anything?

She also could have got her foot caught in something in or on her cage and sprained or wrenched it.

She should be kept warm and hydrated. Is she eating, preening, pooing, and drinking okay?

Do you have an avian vet? Tell us where your located, city, state or country and we can help you find one.

Ginger

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
I dont think you should take all the perches out, she will go to the bottom of the cage if she doesnt want to perch on anything. I think a trip to the vet ASAP is in order so they can check her out. Let us know if you need help finding a vet that sees birds.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I also think you should bring her to the vet asap...maybe it isnt even hr foot...if she is female, she could easily be eggbound...sometimes it presses in the nerves and causes paralysis...I would definitely take her a vet.

kriz2fer

Checking out the neighborhood
yeah she acting normal, drinking, eating, talking, etc.. nothing seems wrong but she wont put weight on her foot. I want to make she before i rush and take her to the vet.

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
yeah she acting normal, drinking, eating, talking, etc.. nothing seems wrong but she wont put weight on her foot. I want to make she before i rush and take her to the vet.
Do you have other birds? Could she have been bitten by one of them and you not know about it? She could have gotten her food caught on something in the cage also...
I also wouldn't have taken out the perches because if she is now walking "flat" footed on the bottom, this could aggrevate it more...having different perches allows them to choose how/where they want to perch...it may be more comfortable for her than being on the bottom...
IS she a she differently? DNA tested or has laid egg before?
Agree it could be egg putting pressure on nerve IF you have no other birds that could have bit her and she is a girl...Have you been giving her foods with lots of calcium in them? How much humidity is in your house now (this will help with passing the egg also)...
If she is not better in 24 hours...would differently see a vet ASAP from when she started....:hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.