• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Could you possibly tell me the age.

Daisylove

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Michelle Ann Bergkamp
I purchased this little lovebird. Not from a breeder They said she was 9 months old. At the time I really didn't think much of it, but I am beginning to think she is closer to 5 or 6 months old. (I don't know gender just saying she cause I don't like calling her an it.). I've had her about a week now and it looks like her color on her head is changing and getting darker. It's kind of speckled. Her beak has no more black on it but she behaves like a baby. Still makes some baby squeaks. And doesn't really like to perch, prefers to settle in my hand or nestle in my hair. She sleeps on the bottom of the cage which I thought she was sick at first but she only sleeps there otherwise she's up playing with her bell or other toys. looks bright and feathers are shiny. Not fluffed up or anything. She still has some grey on her cheeks. And she doesn't have a defined color separation on her head from the peach to green that I've seen in pictures of peach faced lovies. It kind of looks like she is getting ready to molt? Could just be the way she is marked though. Are there other ways to tell if she is still pretty young? I know after a year you really can't tell, but pretty sure she's not 1 year yet. Don't mind my belly fat in the last one. This is where she prefers to sleep on me.

Attachments

derin

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Derin
hmm... i don't have much experience with lovebirds but i can tell you she isn't a baby because she has a solid beak with no black color. i would say she is 9 months because thats what the breeder said. 6 months they are no longer considered a baby, and wouldn't really be acting like a baby anymore. those might just be baby behaviors she retained. my cockatiel still flaps her wings like she is a baby even though she is over 1 1/2 years.

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
@Zara has lovebirds. Don't think you should concern yourself too much with a age difference of 3 months between 6 or 9 mo.
Breeder is most likely accurate & would have no reason to add a few months to the age unless it was an error.
Still won't make much of a difference in the life of the bird. s there a band? Then the breeder should be able to know the age.

Just enjoy your cutie!

Daisylove

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Michelle Ann Bergkamp
It wasn't a breeder. It was a store. But I guess you're right 3 months shouldn't make a difference. Shes a sweet little bird. one of the nicest lovebirds I've owned. She has yet to bite me. Wish she wouldn't poop on me all the time lol but that's bird ownership for ya!