• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Could this be the start of a new beginning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vega

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Joni
I'm almost afraid to mention this in fear Harvey will some how find out...:zipped1: but I just can't help myself! I've talked on here a bit about my conure's plucking issue since our living arrangements changed almost 2 years ago. He's a stress plucker and has been growing increasingly worse this summer. His legs, belly/chest, & back are completely bald. He's also plucked bald areas on his "shoulders". His secondary cage, at my mom's house, is the one I purchased with him-23x23 in size. For a Patagonian that is already large, the cage isn't very big, especially when I add toys. I wasn't sure if purchasing a new cage would help or hurt the situation though. He also has a tendency to freak out when new things are introduced to his environment.

A couple weeks ago I found a used cage on Craigslist that wasn't too far from where I live. Excellent condition, only minor wear. Having watched him spend weeks sitting in 1 spot, and knowing I had the extra money, I figured I would go for it. If he didn't like it I could always resell it.

Well, he's been in it for 9 days now. He's already letting feathers grow in on his legs!! 5 of them!!! Granted, he is over preening them, but they are still there.:angel1: I'm praying that this could be the turning point in his plucking. I've cut back the Avicalm to its regular dose (he was getting double for a while) to see how well he does. I'm not holding my breath, but at the same time I kinda am. I so miss my brightly feathered boy.

Status
Not open for further replies.