• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Could this be an acceptable aviary under supervision?

Doris M

Sprinting down the street
While working in the garden I thought about covering the area and making a temporary aviary. Is this too unsafe?
IMG_20150411_171741486_HDR[1].jpg It's enclosed all the way around just not on top. Any thoughts?

Mr Peepers

Cruising the avenue
I'll say NOPE, aviarys or flights like you want to build should have a really solid base like cement so you can wash away food bits, it needs sturdy posts to place strong wire. Depending where you live if there are larger birds of prey like hawks or falcons around they can easily pick at and grab a bird through a single layer of wire.

Most home made aviary's I've seen had two layers of wire with a 6 inch gap between the layers/sections to keep their birds safe, also you need a shelter up over the bird/s to provide shade. I'm such a negative Nancy here. :rolleyes:

Doris M

I'll say NOPE, aviarys or flights like you want to build should have a really solid base like cement so you can wash away food bits, it needs sturdy posts to place strong wire. Depending where you live if there are larger birds of prey like hawks or falcons around they can easily pick at and grab a bird through a single layer of wire.

Most home made aviary's I've seen had two layers of wire with a 6 inch gap between the layers/sections to keep their birds safe, also you need a shelter up over the bird/s to provide shade. I'm such a negative Nancy here. :rolleyes:

Oh, I don't think your comment is negative. I'm just gathering opinions. My husband said no also to the idea. I was just out there working today and thought it would be cool to have him out there, too. But I get it and don't want to jeopardize his health for my satisfaction.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
If you are going to be out there with him each and every time he is out, I certainly see that anything can be made useful with some modifications. I only have single wire and really no protection from predators coming underneath but I do not let mine out unless I am sitting outside with them. This is a closed group on FB but they have some fabulous ideas and material lists. Log into Facebook | Facebook

Here is my aviary in the background. I splurged for the stainless steel wire and hope to go back and make the frame from stainless steel tubing *someday* aviary in back 2.jpg aviary in back.jpg

aviary base.jpg

Last edited:

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Hubby wouldn't let me attach it to the house or it could have been even bigger...lol

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
As long as you're "always" supervising when out there you can use just about any type of enclosure.

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
And as long as your bird can't easily fit through the spacing...

Doris M

If you are going to be out there with him each and every time he is out, I certainly see that anything can be made useful with some modifications. I only have single wire and really no protection from predators coming underneath but I do not let mine out unless I am sitting outside with them. This is a closed group on FB but they have some fabulous ideas and material lists. Log into Facebook | Facebook

Here is my aviary in the background. I splurged for the stainless steel wire and hope to go back and make the frame from stainless steel tubing *someday* View attachment 198932 View attachment 198933

View attachment 198934
AWESOME! Love it! My husband is building one sometime - when he has time - that's supposed to be similarly attached to the back of our house.