• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Could these things have teflon in them - worrying.

lovebirds

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Hi,

It's been a while since I was last here, I've been very busy lately and everything has been well with my birds (thankfully).

I always seem to come back to the "safety avenue" section of the forum :peek1:

We're going to be moving temporarily to a new flat, next week, and we need to purchase an electric water heater. (I don't know if this is the right name* for it. People here use mostly gas to power the water heating device, but we don't feel safe using gas anymore and want to switch to electric) and the company that sells the one device we want can't "guarantee a 100%" it doesn't contain teflon, but they're almost positively sure it doesn't.

I'm not finding other alternatives and my mother is going ahead and buying it because we can't be without hot water, and she thinks the "nearly sure" answer is good enough.

Does anyone know if these things could possibly contain PTFE?

We also need to purchase a new electric oven and a ceramic hob* (this one, to me seems likely to contain PTFE). But the companies I'm sending emails to, aren't replying me and I'm panicking a little.

I'm calling them tomorrow and see what they say, as I can't wait for their replies for much longer.

Thanks in advance to anyone who might offer their advice and I apologize for my English :)

*What I meant by "electric water heater": http://www.ariston.com/ww/Electric_water_heaters/media/immagini/424_n_SHAPE-ECO_web.jpg
(this is the actual model we want)

*Ceramic hob: https://www.howdens.com/content/image/4470-8637-1.jpg

Yoshi&Reza

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Alyssa
Definitely be careful with a new electric oven. Sometimes there is a coating that will burn off and put out fumes the first few times it is used.

I am not too sure about the water heater or ceramic hob. Usually ceramic is considered safe...I just don't know if there is an additional finish.

@JLcribber - he seems to know a good deal about these types of things.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I think your fears are unfounded both with gas and electric. They're both closed systems. The gas system is vented to outside. If it wasn't it would kill you too. An electric system has nothing to vent so it's even safer.

I can't think of any reason why Teflon would be used at all. It's an anti stick surface. Water doesn't stick to any thing. Even if by the slightest chance the tank is lined with Teflon, it's constantly in contact with water. It could never reach a temperature high enough to off gas without the entire tank exploding.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
If you get a new stove of any kind you must burn it off (heat it up high) without birds in the house. Never, ever, turn a self cleaning oven on with birds in the house (or small children). The fumes that puts off has been known to kill birds. A friend that worked as a vet tech has told me awful instances of that.

You are wise to seek info on these things.

lovebirds

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Thanks everyone!

I just got an email from Tristar and they said the model I inquired them about didn't have any teflon, so I'm buying it today. I'm thinking of letting it run for at least 4 hours, before using it in the house with the birds. Is that enough?

My worries about the gas, is because I often hear about gas leaks in people's houses. And almost 10 years ago, we had a gas water heater that caught on fire.

Thank you for your reply JLcribber, I feel safer using the electric water heater, we'll really have to go with the model I mentioned above.

Clueless, I chose a model that didn't have the self-cleaning option, so other people won't be tempted to use it (in case they don't know) when I'm not in the house.

Thanks again!

Last edited:

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Thanks everyone!

I just got an email from Tristar and they said it didn't have any teflon, so I'm buying it today. I'm thinking of letting it run for at least 4 hours, before using it in the house with the birds, is that enough?

My worries about the gas, is because I often hear about gas leaks in people's houses. And almost 10 years ago, we had a gas water heater that caught on fire.
Thank you for your reply JLcribber, I feel safer using the electric water heater, we'll really have to go with the model I mentioned above.

Clueless, I made sure I chose a model that didn't have the self-cleaning option, so other people won't be tempted to use when I'm not in the house.

Thanks again!
Bless you. I can guarantee my next one will not have that self clean feature. I live in fear when I'm not home and relatives are there.

@JLcribber Yes, I'm the 100% worry wart.

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
That is why this place rocks. It allows us to have peace of mind with the safety of certain items such as these.