• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Could it be...?

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Is this a pregnant dart frog, or just a fat female?

Napo. Chira was hiding when I took these pictures, but does look fatter a much more rounded on the belly.
20200531_173819.jpg 20200531_174009.jpg

Sorry about the terrible quality!

Some of the others just because they are cute!
20200531_173842.jpg

Ali

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Bump.

Reactions: Ali

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Someone has either eaten all the pies or you will shortly be blessed with some new arrivals! They're very cute.

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I keep trying to get better pictures, but so far, I haven't succeeded! :lol:
If I can get some better images, I will post them.

I so hope it is babies! They are listed as vulnerable in the wild, so it would be great to get some froglets!

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Some more pictures... sadly couldn't find the fatter ones!
20200601_211133.jpg 20200601_210653.jpg 20200601_210633.jpg 20200601_205910.jpg

And the setup...

20200601_210443.jpg

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Under the upturned coconut, we have a little petri dish so they can lay their eggs in there if there are any!:fingerscrossed:

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
*UPDATE*
The males have really been find their voice lately. It's good to be home during lockdown to be able to monitor them. This morning, both males have been calling, and one was guarding the entrance to the coconut hide. He hated it when I moved it to top up the petri dish! It's a good job they aren't poisonous is captivity, otherwise I would probably have ended up in intensive care!

I work in the room they are kept in during home schooling, so as I am writing this on my 'break', I can here them calling every now and then! I would love to get them to breed. I am very much into conservation and exotics (I even volunteer at a local monkey rescue centre, who rescue all sorts of species from around the world, including many from the pet trade were they are abused and kept in bird cages), and would love to successfully breed a vulnerable species!

:fingerscrossed: , Ali

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
*UPDATE 2*

Today I caught two of them in the act! So excited!

I am off to make a shopping list of things to raise eggs as a precaution.

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I think we may have eggs?! They don't look much like the pictures, but the make stays pretty close to them. They are on a bromeliad. It just looks like a cluster of tiny black balls.

@malibu

malibu

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maddie
Assuming the female is gravid they might be duds if they are first time breeders. I don't breed but from my friends that do breed, I think E anthonyi/tricolour might be fine if you raise them in the tank since they usually aren't aggressive. For when the tadpoles are out of the water and into froglets make sure you have a couple springtail colonies going since melonagaster flies might even be a little big for them.

I might be wrong but a week after laying you should be able to tell whether or not the eggs are fertile.

Reactions: Ali

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Assuming the female is gravid they might be duds if they are first time breeders. I don't breed but from my friends that do breed, I think E anthonyi/tricolour might be fine if you raise them in the tank since they usually aren't aggressive. For when the tadpoles are out of the water and into froglets make sure you have a couple springtail colonies going since melonagaster flies might even be a little big for them.

I might be wrong but a week after laying you should be able to tell whether or not the eggs are fertile.
I have watched a few videos etc. and found how to tell if eggs are viable and how to care for them.