• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Could I get some help?

Kailani

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Kailani
Hello! I have a small inquiry considering my two lovebirds.

This morning, we discovered two fairly large feathers that came from my Peach-Faced, Maddie. Something about their condition concerned me—they had small 'holes' along the center.

We have never owned Lovies before and have had this pair since last Christmas. Neither of them are showing any other suggestive 'symptoms', they live on a diet of varied seeds, millet and greens and are always provided with clean water. Now, I may just be paranoid but Maddie shares a cage with my other Lovie, and we also have a flock of four Budgies and wouldn't want anything to happen to the dears!

We would really appreciate any help we can get, and if you need any more information we are more than happy to provide. Thank you in advance.

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I would strongly recommend adding pellets to their diet if you can. Seeds and greens only is not going to be nutritionally complete for them (they don't need as much seed as budgies do). Not sure about those feathers exactly, but it's possible that it's from an issue stemming from prior to you owning them. Keep an eye on the new feathers as they come in.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I could be way off on this but I would check for mites on the bird.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The little white spots don't look like holes? They're just white spots. The overall condition of the feathers is pretty normal.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The feather between the ribbing is gone? I've not seen that before, maybe mites?