• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Cotton Threads On Boing

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
Are those cotton threads too long and a possible choking hazard? (I'm guessing so) And if so, could I just trim them? Also, is cotton a risk for ingestion? I'm trying to think of possible risks in Charlie's toys and eliminating them after reading all of the horror stories on this forum. Thank you in advance :)
Capture d’écran 2019-01-24 à 21.50.04.png

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yes cotton threads can become impacted in the crop. They can also be an entanglement issue.

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
Yes cotton threads can become impacted in the crop. They can also be an entanglement issue.
Aw heck :( Entanglement, this is what I meant, not choking. Though they could also choke, I guess. So should I avoid cotton altogether or just trim the threads and watch out for fraying? Maybe use vet wrap? Also, palm strips and vegetal leather are safe and not an impaction risk... right? As long as there's no entanglement risk? Thank you so much for your reply!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Aw heck :( Entanglement, this is what I meant, not choking. Though they could also choke, I guess. So should I avoid cotton altogether or just trim the threads and watch out for fraying? Maybe use vet wrap? Also, palm strips and vegetal leather are safe and not an impaction risk... right? As long as there's no entanglement risk? Thank you so much for your reply!

Both of those are fine and in many of the toys I make :) of course if your bird is ingesting any non-food items anything can be a risk. I've never had a bird eat stuff that wasn't meant to be eaten.

If your bird doesn't general chew or play with the rope, just trimming it is fine. Otherwise vet tape is a great way to keep them safer!

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
Both of those are fine and in many of the toys I make :) of course if your bird is ingesting any non-food items anything can be a risk. I've never had a bird eat stuff that wasn't meant to be eaten.

If your bird doesn't general chew or play with the rope, just trimming it is fine. Otherwise vet tape is a great way to keep them safer!

Good, so I will trim and use vet wrap if I spot any fraying! Thank youuu :heart: P.S. How do birds get cotton impaction if they usually don't swallow non food items? It gets stuck and they have no choice but to swallow it or?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Good, so I will trim and use vet wrap if I spot any fraying! Thank youuu :heart: P.S. How do birds get cotton impaction if they usually don't swallow non food items? It gets stuck and they have no choice but to swallow it or?

I'm guessing its from when they preen it if they are not outright ingesting it. I have heard of birds eating it and they have come up in surgeries, but I have never personally see one of my own flock doing it, and they always have had good checkups!

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph

I'm guessing its from when they preen it if they are not outright ingesting it. I have heard of birds eating it and they have come up in surgeries, but I have never personally see one of my own flock doing it, and they always have had good checkups!

Hmmm I see, thank you!! Glad your flock is healthy <3