• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cotton ropes

kristingal

Checking out the neighborhood
Will applying coconut oil to Cotton ropes discourage chewing that causes fraying or would it only encourage more chewing (and then more fraying) because parrots love coconut oil?

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Don't use coconut oil, it can mess with temperature regulation and get their feathers all sticky. If you're worried they're chewing it, rather don't use it due to risk of impaction.

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Don't use coconut oil, it can mess with temperature regulation and get their feathers all sticky. If you're worried they're chewing it, rather don't use it due to risk of impaction.
Or vetwrap it

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Definitely not going to stop them chewing on it but as @Spearmint mentioned you really do not want coconut oil getting on their feathers. If you think they will chew it then either do not use it and use natural wood perches instead or try covering with a good layer of vet wrap (watch for chewing and replace the vet wrap as needed). If they are known for chewing rope then I would personally choose sisal rope perches over cotton- I watched my bird turn one strand of cotton into a huge puff of really fine cotton, he cant do this with sisal as it breaks rather than fluffing up.