• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Cotton Obstruction

lexalayne

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
I found this on Facebook - from Brisbane Bird Vet - thought it might be worth sharing.

8084C26B-1EC2-4748-999D-B1A8105C7D22.png F625879B-E39C-49D7-A6A0-A8A6915AC116.png

This year we are seeing an alarming number of cases of gastrointestinal obstruction from cotton fibre. Often when our pet parrots have access to rope toys or perches, happy huts or any other source of cotton they will nibble at them. After months to years of doing this the minute fibres can accumulate in their crop, stomachs or intestines, leading to an obstruction.

Parrots won’t necessarily chew these items in front of you and often the changes that occur to these items are very subtle. The only way to prevent a cotton fibre obstruction is the remove all the sources cotton fibre. This means rope toys and perches and happy huts.

These photographs are from two separate cases of cotton fibre obstruction; one in the crop of an inquisitive cockatiel and the other in the gizzard (second stomach) of an energetic rainbow lorikeet. The cockatiel’s obstruction was detected early enough that it could be removed with long forceps via the beak under anaesthetic. The lorikeet required a surgery to open the abdomen and the gizzard to retrieve the material. It is worth mentioning that the lorikeet did not have access to some of the colours of cotton found in the gizzard for YEARS before she became clinically unwell. The cockatiel is doing well but sadly the rainbow lorikeet later passed away. Another bird, ‘Wonton’ who is the beloved cockatiel of Australian pop artists The Veronicas, also had a cotton fibre foreign body in her gizzard. Wonton had surgery earlier in the year and is currently doing very well.

The clinical signs of a gastrointestinal foreign body can be very subtle and can range from no outward clinic signs to lethargy, vomiting, change in appetite, change in the droppings and feather destructive behaviour. If you have any concerns that your bird may have been chewing at something they shouldn’t, or about anything else related to their health and wellbeing, please make an appointment to see one of our avian veterinarians!

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
Oh dear! Is 100% cotton string safe for just hanging toys (not actually the toys itself)?

lexalayne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
Oh dear! Is 100% cotton string safe for just hanging toys (not actually the toys itself)?

I don’t know ... I was kind of hoping someone would say it’s bs ... if it’s not it’s scary -

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It is not BS. It is one of the reasons that Happy Huts are discouraged and why some people won't use rope perches or will toss them when they start to fray. This is not the only photo or case I have seen with this. I don't personally use cotton rope in my toys for the same reason.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
There have been numerous instances of little birds dying from impactions from chewing on their happy hut. I wish those would be taken off the market.

My GW eats (chews and swallows) wood and plastic. Not good she has nothing much for toys. She went through an impaction a few months ago.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
This is why I am getting rid of all my cotton rope perches. Tango has suddenly decided he is going to destroy them all

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I stopped using cotton for any of Burt's toys when I noticed he liked to make little fiber fluffy things with the cotton rope and play with them by rolling them around in his beak for ages.....I am just way too paranoid he will ingest them so I restrung all the cotton toys with paper, ss wire or chains.
The vet at my first visit told me to keep an eye on him with any cotton and all other materials as she had just done surgery that week on a macaw with a fiber impaction.....way too scary for me to deal with I think.

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best

Dostc426

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chelsea Dostert
I've gotten rid of all of my rope perches and rope toys because of this..the thought became too scary for me even though my Sun had rope boings and perches for years! :sad1: We made the switch once he got hormonal and started regurgitating on the rope perches and eating it back up (icky hormonal boy lol!) He only has all natural shredding toys, natural wood perches, and paper rope for anything that needs to hang! He sure liked the change though! :D

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@lexalayne - I don't even get very scared any more - I'm desensitized. If there is any weird illness or condition, Jasper will have it at one time or another. She goes to the vet every three months, come h@ll or high water and thank goodness I have the best vet and a very thorough one.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
The thing about this particular warning is that whoever owned this bird must not have paid a whole lot of attention to their bird for it to get this bad. The bird had to have been sick for a really long time to have that much of an obstruction in them.

You have to know your bird and how your bird plays with toys. Mary Lynn is talking about Pica...the need to eat inanimate objects. Most of the time, birds will not eat items that are not food but it does happen. It seems that smaller birds are more prone to eating fabric material but any bird has the potential. Rope toys are fine and are really great for the bird who doesn't ingest the cotton. I have several birds who love their cotton perches and I have birds who absolutely cannot have them. You have to know what your bird does with its toys and what it doesn't do and you have to know what to look for in your bird's habits...the bird in the picture had to have been incredibly lethargic and not eating at all, probably throwing up a lot as well. The owner should have known long before the pictures were taken that something was horribly wrong.

KNOW YOUR BIRD!

lexalayne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
I avoid plastic toys. For some reason I think they’ll eat the pieces. And one of my macaws had an unfixed broken foot when I got him and he had to have rope perches. Those needed constant trimming and replacement.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't give very much rope to my birds. Mostly because I'm afraid of them getting tangled. However, one of the first years I had my cockatoo she chewed through some sisal rope and ate it while I was at work. She also vomited it back up. It was clear what she did because I came home to a disgusting wad of sisal on the floor of the cage covered in mucous. She also likes to eat stuff like plastic. She's gotten better over the years now that she has matured some. I still stick to sisal and keep cotton out of cages except for very old birds that need soft perches. Thankfully, she's the only one that eats stuff here. I still keep hard plastic away from my macaw for the most part. I just have a feeling she'd crush and eat a piece now and then. Its good to follow your intuition.

Last edited: