• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cost Effective Dried Herbs

Fife3000

Strolling the yard
My birds love Herb Salad. But for 30+ birds, it is very expensive. Would it be more cost effective to make ones own mix?
Or is it about the same cost wise?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I've never priced it out!

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Personally, I think it would be more trouble than it is worth to try and make your own herb mix that is identical to Herb Salad. It contains 22 different herbs, some of them being rather hard to find for sale on their own. Buying all those herbs in bulk and mixing them together yourself would likely cost you as much or more than reaching out to the makers of Herb Salad and finding out if you can buy their product in bulk. Plus, if you source your own herbs, you'll want to be sure to double-check all sources to ensure the herbs are bird-safe and pesticide-free. This will likely limit your options and raise the price. You can certainly look into it and could probably make a more affordable alternative by cutting out some of the more expensive or harder to find components, but at that point it isn't the same product. You could offer the less expensive dry herb blend some days and Herb Salad on other days to cut down the cost while keeping the benefits of the more expensive mix.

If you have a green thumb, you might try growing your own herbs, so you can supplement your supply of dry herbs with some fresh offerings. This would cost more time and space, but less money.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna

Phoe Phoe

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Mountain Rose herbs.

I personally would think twice before offering some of those herbs though. Herbs are NOT innocuous.

How do you feed this to them? Straight? Dry?

Craftydan

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dan Crews
I've bought packages of "herbs" from the pet store before, and eventually just switched to bottled Italian seasoning.

Just have to check the ingredients to verify they didn't add garlic powder, but the rest of a typical blend is good for birdy . . . and Essie doesn't appear to mind it's only $0.98/bottle.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I don’t think you have to have all 22 herbs, just start with some important ones. You can get dried ones through Amazon and grow some on your own. I give fresh whenever possible… unfortunately I live in a deed restricted area where even raised bed gardens are prohibited… but I grow some on my lanai, some in an aero garden, and swap with other plant crazy people.

Just”food” for thought!:roflmao:

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I've grown and dry my own herbs for years. But as far as Twin Beak Salad I would call for bulk rates before you try to copy it.