• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Cornstarch removal after injury

jdmiller95

Meeting neighbors
My bird was bleeding a lot an in stopping it he got covered in styptic liquid and cornstarch. How do I get the cornstarch off of him without submerging his foot that was injured?

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Stupid question on my part, but why not leave it on until it falls off by itself? I'd worry more about removing the corn starch and accidentally taking off any scab under it.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Leave it on. You'll notice it disappears fairly quickly.

jdmiller95

Meeting neighbors
There were a few of us on the Help The Bird project and one of my friends posted this, sorry. The concern was because his feathers - on his back, on his belly, and also all over his vent... - were all covered in pasty cornstarch AND the styptic liquid, and I worried about his eating it, him trying to fly while covered in it.... etc. Ultimately though (after very minimal cleaning effort) we just let him loose, still not bleeding, and he's pulled out some feathers trying to clean himself off but that's far from the worst outcome tonight could've been so oh well. He's doing okay. Gonna try to get him to the vet tomorrow though to check on everything (namely concern about cornstarch/etc. in his vent....). Thanks all.

jdmiller95

Meeting neighbors
(People in panic situations sometimes don't focus on the most important things. While freaking out trying to figure out how tf to get my bird to stop bleeding to death, I got hyperfocused on how to clean him off. Hence forcing a friend to post this....agh)

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
here is my tip; in a small old fashioned film canister I mix 1 tablespoon of either cornstarch or white flour and 1 tablespoon cayenne powder. I cap it and shake it well. this will stop bleeding in seconds and is bird safe.

Jennjenn

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jenn
here is my tip; in a small old fashioned film canister I mix 1 tablespoon of either cornstarch or white flour and 1 tablespoon cayenne powder. I cap it and shake it well. this will stop bleeding in seconds and is bird safe.

What's the purpose of the cayenne pepper?

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
stops the pain and stops the bleeding.

Lodah

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Hot pepper in the wound stops pain? :omg:
I really don;t want to try it. It may be true after you pass out but hard to believe as you get that on sensitive tissue & it burns.

Capsaicin Tested On Surgical Wounds - Slashdot

For my plumeria I use manuka honey mixed with cinnamon. Thick paste covers an open wound & protects it while it heals. Not saying this is good for birds but I would use this honey on my slight wounds.

Imagine cayenne is medicinal too but probably hurts when applied. Guess the same is true for peroxide & alcohol.
Still in 2016 there is no such thing as painless medicine.:bash:

I doubt the cornstarch will block the vent. Most of the powder will flake off & the first big bomb should take care of the vent.

Glad you stopped the bleeding.

Last edited:

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Hot pepper in the wound stops pain? :omg:
I really don;t want to try it. It may be true after you pass out but hard to believe as you get that on sensitive tissue & it burns.

Capsaicin Tested On Surgical Wounds - Slashdot

For my plumeria I use manuka honey mixed with cinnamon. Thick paste covers an open wound & protects it while it heals.
Imagine cayenne is medicinal too but probably hurts when applied. Guess the same is true for peroxide & alcohol.
Still in 2016 there is no such thing as painless medicine.:bash:

I doubt the cornstarch will block the vent. Most of the powder will flake off & the first big bomb should take care of the vent.

Glad you stopped the bleeding.
Parrots don't have the same pain receptors that respond to capsaicin as we do, so it shouldn't burn them at all.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Parrots don't have the same pain receptors that respond to capsaicin as we do, so it shouldn't burn them at all.

I know they can eat peppers wo pain but not sure if there body/flesh nerves are sensitive to it.

I love hot peppers & been up to the hottest pepper in the world early 2000 but that was in the 500,000 scov range.
There are now peppers over 1,000,000 scov to close to 2,000,000 & the current world record holder tops the 2 mil
at about 2.2 million scov.

I'm afraid to go over 1 million. There is a big difference between 500,000 & 1 or 2 million

These superhots actually affect the limbs as they become numb. Some people can get a resisitance to the capsaicin & build a tolerance. I'm a chicken. I don;t eat them whole with seeds...:omg:
but I can handle them wo gloves & the new superhots are supposed to need gloves....
Darn them hot peppers.

Capsaicin, An Ingredient in Hot Peppers, Offers Many Medical Benefits - ABC News

Here's one with the Douglah perhaps the 2nd hottest pepper in the world.
Seriously considering adopting one I saw in the nursery but chickend out & got the Chocolate hab.

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Good information but it does say taste receptors. I don;t know about skin & wounds.

Interesting about the chile leaves. My new brown habanero dropped 3 leaves since I got it.
I watered with kelp emulsion/ superthrive & eleanors V11 as I'm trying to make it really healthy.
Even sprayed the leaves.
I always thought since they liked heat which is true they were drought tolerant but I guess not.
I know they do not like to be too wet & since they have a problem with being too dry they should be difficult to grow.
I've grown them for quite a few years. Just not had them the last 2 or 3 years so I forgot.

My hab is in a 4 inch pot & is less than 12 inches tall so it is a it stressed & needs water often esp when hot as it is on my balcony right now 90 to 100. I'm hoping I can et this chile to make some hot peppers for me but its late in the season.

I have used the chile oil & rubbed it on the base stems of the tomatoes to deter the pesky rodents from eating them.

It's possible the skin of the bird also does not have pain receptors from the compound but just because the taste buds don;t doesn't mean that everywhere is the same. If chile dust got in there eyes when they rubbed there foot it could also be a problem.

I'm still hesitant about cayenne for medicinal purpose on birds.

BTW...Cody is a cutie!

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Capsaicin binds to pain receptors. That's why it burns us. That mechanism isn't present in birds, which is why it doesn't burn them. In wounds, in the mouth, it's the same thing. It's not a matter of simply not having receptors in their mouth, it's that the receptors they do have don't bind to capsaicin. There is a wealth of information on this fact if you look it up.