• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Corn, wheat, soy - main ingredients in many pellets

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Its just information im sharing. Plunty of information on both sides of nearly every topic.

I feed pellets that have soy...but I do try and limit for myself and my birds and dogs..its hard to get away from soy ..

I know we used to avoid in developing animals babies...things may have changed..but I do see baby human formula info out there that does give cause for pause...currently getting more studies..but you all have Google too ;)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
How does one define the word Filler when it comes to bird or other pet food? By definition, any filler is an ingredient that adds bulk to a diet without adding any nutritional value. The only ingredients in pet food that fit that requirement are fibers. Beet pulp, tomato pumice, the fiber in beans, potatoes, sweet potatoes, and vegetables are true fillers. So by this definition it leaves out corn so I stand corrected.

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I'm not sure what my definition of "filler" would be, but it wouldn't vilify fibre given its important role in satiety, regulating blood sugar, gut health, etc, etc (in humans at least).

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I have zero issues hearing from both sides of the topic :) I welcome it! I just think sometimes when we share things like NEVER FEED SOY it can make people really worried about what they are feeding when most of the time there isn't an issue.

I also don't see how vegetables offer no nutritional value?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Yes i wondered about vegetables included in that definition of filler.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Its good to expand our curiosity and investigate topics.
This link is very in depth, and the average reader may begin to experience eye strain...and loose focus.
Tips for reading science articles if you don't have all day. Read the introduction, for the what and how. Then go go read the end the conclusion or findings. If your curious about points, then go back go read and check graphs.

Genetically modified soy bean plants are currently the dominant source of soy products. The soybeans have been modified to tolerate pesticides. The plants take up the pesticides, and those chemicals remain. Those chemicals are inked with health issues. What are acceptable levels. How much builds up over time...mm
Anyway the promised long read

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Genetically modified soy bean plants are currently the dominant source of soy products. The soybeans have been modified to tolerate pesticides. The plants take up the pesticides, and those chemicals remain. Those chemicals are inked with health issues. What are acceptable levels. How much builds up over time...mm
When there's uncertainty, look for what is certain...

4.2. Residues of pesticides in the soy
In this study it was found that Roundup Ready GM-soybeans sprayed during the growing season had taken up and accumulated glyphosate and AMPA at concentration levels of 0.4–8.8 and 0.7–10 mg/kg, respectively. In contrast, conventional and organic soybeans did not contain these chemicals.

That's useful to know for people who have concerns.

Harrison's states they use organic soy, and Hagen Tropican Alternative Formula doesn't contain soy at all if people want to dodge the issue.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I am not sure if FM Brown is still producing their "Zoo Vital" pellet, but it is also corn and soy free. As is of course TOPS if that is what you prefer.