• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Corn Stalks safe?

Chris1234

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chris
Hi Everyone!

Has anyone used the corn stalk pith as a bird toy? One of my birds LOVES sola and I was curious if the stalk pith (not the cob) would be a similar texture. I was thinking if the stalk shell was removed and the pith was cut and maybe dried in the oven, that it might make a good shreddable. Corn stalks would be so much more readily available (and cheaper) than sola.
Apparently I have too much time on my hands these days. :lol:

Different-corn-stover-components.png

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
My birds like dried corn cobs, and I have noticed the stalk part but it seems really crumbly and much softer than sola, if I'm thinking of the right part?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Burt loves destroying the corn cobs and the husks too. We grow extras for him to destroy.
Oh I see it is the stalks you’re asking about..... just make sure it hasn’t gone mouldy or funky as they do if they’re not dried well.

Chris1234

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chris
My birds like dried corn cobs, and I have noticed the stalk part but it seems really crumbly and much softer than sola, if I'm thinking of the right part?
I'm not sure. Most of the info I'm finding online is about the cob or even the extension coming off the cob. This would be the stalk itself...the part that extends from the soil upwards.