• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Corn - cooked or raw?

skip51

Meeting neighbors
We got some local sweet corn for our caique and didn't know if the corn should be cooked or served raw.

Skip

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
We got some local sweet corn for our caique and didn't know if the corn should be cooked or served raw.

Skip

I microwave it for 1.5 mins.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I generally cook the corn. If you microwave corn on the cob let it rest for a bit and make sure it is not too hot.

Mark & Da Boyz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
I offer it both ways, Right now Cheddar is scarfing down some that's raw. I wash before I offer it. When I cook it I do so with no salt or other spices and no butter.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Either :)

clawnz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
Fresh Sweetcorn is well liked by most birds.
I used to have a handicapped Budgie who used to sit on top of the cobs and eat her fill.
Just hang up the whole cob.
Some of the bigger guys will even like ripping the empty cob apart.

Frozen is ok out of season.
Be very careful if you microwave it. They can explode if you microwave to many seconds. Messy.

And bear in mind there is not a huge amount of nutritional value.

MagpieDragon

Jogging around the block
As far as I know, @Lady Jane is against feeding fresh corn to birds due to the fact that she theorises that the time it takes to digest fresh corn can cause problems in the crop.
Just mentioning, you may want to ask her about it :)

clawnz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
I have been feeding all my birds for many years. NO issues seen or known.
And at the rate of a corn cob a day in season for 4 Eclectus.
Guessing that could be at least 4 or so dozen, each season.

You or should I say Lady Jane, maybe mixing it up with Humans.
Who if they eat whole kernels without breaking the outer casing, will not digest, and the kernels will pass through the gut whole.

Some do claim it can make female birds hormonal.
Again from what I have seen, this could also be another false claim.

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I also have been feeding corn on the cob to my budgies for several years. I have had these budgies turn up with fungi in the crop leading to the death of one of them. It is my theory that fresh corn can lead to yeast growth in a budgies crop. This was backed up by my avian vet when I asked him about it. Since I stopped feeding both processed corn and fresh corn 8 months ago there has been no growth of yeast in my birds. This is my own personal experience and belief so I do not recommend others to do this. Roudybush has a high percentage of corn as do other bird foods so I switched to goldenfeast foods that do not use corn as a filler. For those that do feed fresh corn please be aware of the symptoms of AGY so it can be treated early on.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I feed a lot of raw food. I cook ‘some’ foods. For caiques I’d serve it up raw, they love to fling it. For the littles (finches, canaries, maybe the tiels) I tend to cook things just a little so they are easier to eat.

Mark & Da Boyz

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
Cooked food...never give a Parrotlet rice until you really REALLY want textured walls. Streak could fling rice across the room. And it dries as hard as concrete.

clawnz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
I also have been feeding corn on the cob to my budgies for several years. I have had these budgies turn up with fungi in the crop leading to the death of one of them. It is my theory that fresh corn can lead to yeast growth in a budgies crop. This was backed up by my avian vet when I asked him about it. Since I stopped feeding both processed corn and fresh corn 8 months ago there has been no growth of yeast in my birds. This is my own personal experience and belief so I do not recommend others to do this. Roudybush has a high percentage of corn as do other bird foods so I switched to goldenfeast foods that do not use corn as a filler. For those that do feed fresh corn please be aware of the symptoms of AGY so it can be treated early on.

Are you referring to corn as used in pellets? This is way different. to sweetcorn.
And did you not say the Budgies came in with yeast issues?
Sorry correct that. Your Budgies got a yeast infection after you were looking after them.
And you and the vet are saying it was the corn! If so which ones? GMO corn, as per most pellets, or Sweetcorn.

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
The budgies I get are from a breeder who takes measures when feeding the babies to "R" word growth of yeast. I know that corn in bird food is processed differently than fresh corn. I avoid corn and flax seed in bird food. I did not say the budgies had yeast
And did you not say the Budgies came in with yeast issues
No I did not say this anywhere. Before I put 2 and 2 together I was feeding corn on the cob to my current budgies. The male was diagnosed with AGY a few months after that as I recognized the symptoms early on. He was treated with 10 days of Ampho B and was clear after that. That is the point when I thought about the one I had that went into the wasting part of AGY and died. I fed him corn on the cob. As said I am not recommending anyone stop feeding corn to their birds.

When one thinks about the process of how birds eat and digest food it makes sense that a high carb food such as corn that is hard to digest, even for humans, would give them problems moving from the crop to the gizzard.

Last edited:

clawnz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
Sorry.
I could not find any reference to sweetcorn causing any issues.
A good number of sites reference to foods rich in sugars, but no mention of sweetcorn in any of the lists I have found so far.
Poor health or weakened immune systems seem to be a contributing factor, mentioned a number of times though.
Even searching this forum says that most people do feed corn, both raw and often cooked. And none of those people have seen any health issues.

I will keep looking though.
And if you do have any reference to sweetcorn causing yeast infection I would like to read it.
As we all know an infection is very hard to clear 100%, so the chances are it will return.
It is one of the real nasty infections.

Thank you for talking about how you treated it, that will help others.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
You will find nothing about my theory. My vet said they have been discussing this possibility among other avian vets. One day perhaps a more scientific study could somehow be done.

@Birdbabe

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
My avian vet says corn is ok, once in a while, too much does cause yeast in the crop. Been there, done that..Once in a while means once or twice a month in small amounts .

clawnz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
I walk away.
I do not wish to inflame this.
And will continue to feed all my birds sweetcorn every day when in season.
At least until I see some factual based prove.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
No one is inflamed. Your input and experience is valuable. I am sorry if I made you walk.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
You are both speaking from your own experience, and those differ. What works for on doesn’t always work for another... you’re in different countries, maybe the corn differs. At any rate both of you are trying to help others so thank you.