• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cord the Gold Capped Conure

M&M Ninja

Strolling the yard
We brought home a 3 month old gold cap conure last night. Until proven otherwise, 'it' is a she and her name is Cord.

The breeder's home was really cool. All of the birds in the house (amazon, alexandrine ringneck, conures), as well as the pairs in big outdoor aviaries (mostly amazons, a few greys, and a pair of Hahn's macaws) were happy and busy. I couldn't believe how the indoor birds all occupied themselves. They flew around, landed on stuff, bit their toys, hung off their playstand, etc. They liked the presence of the people, but they weren't reliant on us to provide them stimulation. It was so cool to see what an independent and happy bird looks like.

Everybody was flighted and skilled. If you stood up suddenly in their path while they were flying along, they would zip around you without issue. They land, tumble, fall off stuff, etc. with complete bird confidence.

The outdoor birds weren't being as silly, but they were still doing their own thing. They called, sang, repeated words, etc. Messed with branches. No stressed screaming. A few of the birds were the breeder's pets and they were just as happy as could be. Such a cool setup.

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congratulations! Looking forward to hearing all about her and seeing pics. The breeder home/aviary set-up sounds nice!

BeanieofJustice

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
Congratulations!! I hope you'll share pictures of Cord! That sounds like a really awesome breeder to go to!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations!

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Many congrats! Cord is a very lucky little lady!!!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to the Avenue, Cord! :)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats. Post some photos when you get a chance.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Welcome to the avenue Cord! :fairy:

WallyLoopey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
Congrats on getting Cord!

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Congrats! There are a few on the board. You don't see them often. My guy is now considered an old man and on the road to heart maintenance. He'll be 20 this year. Adopted him from a rescue in Parma, OH in 2001.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I am so happy for you. There is no harm giving this exceptional breeder a plug here by posting the name. Good luck with your new baby and please post photos when you can.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
He's a cutie pie :heart:

M&M Ninja

Strolling the yard
The breeder is Carmen of Brightwood Aviary in Georgia.
Brightwood Aviary

I read through her whole website before I decided to drive there. She concludes her thoughts in the PS with: "My prayer is that this avian friend remains in your family for the rest of its life as a valued member.
... Or that you have the wisdom to acknowledge and accept that this feathered soul should be released into the loving heart of another."

She really cares for her birds and it shows. If you're interested in learning more, do browse her pages. She has an excellent setup.

Edit: In case anybody wonders - Carmen commented that her website prices haven't been updated since 2008, and other than one remaining gold cap conure, there aren't any babies available at the moment. She has a panama amazon and an Alexandrine that she'll be holding onto for the next few months.

Last edited:

AutumnRain

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
Congratulations!!! That's awesome that the indoor birds are so independent. I worked on encouraging that a lot with my tiel, and it has benefited her significantly. She wants me in her sight, and still loves to sit with me and be pet often, but also ventures off around the room to fly, forage, and play with toys. She wasn't like that when I adopted her. I'm glad you got to see firsthand how great that is for them. Also, your Conure is beautiful! :)