• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Coop training pigeons?

Jogging around the block
My three pigeons are currently free 24/7
I've been getting them to eat just outside of their coop, they never willingly went into it, and still don't.
I plan to slowly move the food inside of the coop and then shut the door on them, but I wonder if this would frighten them and be ineffective? They also like to go eat one at a time, so I don't know if this idea will work very well. We used to try with two, but they quickly learned and ran out when they saw me coming to shut them inside.
I don't want to shut them in, I'm just concerned of how I'm going to catch them in an emergency (eg natural disaster, injured/sick bird).
I wonder if I could just get them all eating inside and not lock them up, if I needed to lock them up I could and they wouldn't realize? But again, they only eat one at a time so it wouldn't work..
Any suggestions?
@Birdbabe what do you think?

BirdG1rl

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Mara M.M
I'm afraid I don't have any suggestions. Do they have any foods that they regard as high value? Would this help to train them?

Jogging around the block
I'm afraid I don't have any suggestions. Do they have any foods that they regard as high value? Would this help to train them?
Thankyou for replying anyway :)
Not really, they do love their maize but it doesn't really affect how well they go for the food. If they are hungry (I don't starve them but their morning feed) they all go and try get the food but they chase the other away so only one eats at a time.
I used to feed them on the ground which they all ate together then but it isn't really an option to get them going in the coop.