• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cooling down

kiertje

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kira
hey hey,
What do you guys do during the hot summer days?
Cause linnies don't like to take baths. I try to spray them but if they don't feel like it, they also run aways. But they clearly struggling with the heat.

Would it be bad to put a fan near the cage? Or put a ice pack or pet cooling mat on top of the cage with a blanket over it. So they can't sit directly on it but coolness can come down in a corner?

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Bump

Ulis_Beast

Real Name
Doroteja Lenassi
A fan is not that bad of an idea, just make sure it doesn't blow directly on them.. Essentially it just stirrs the air in the room, doesn't cool it much.. If it can be placed in a manner that it has an intake of cooler air (ie from the climatised hallway or som such) it would help some.
I'd consider the pet cooling mat on the cage a hazard, as they can nibble on it.

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Could me make an ice lolly? I know many zoos give their animals ice lollies, but I don't now about birds.

@Mizzely is this something you might have tried out?

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair

RainbowFlo

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Estella
I know some birds like ice cubes. Some people freeze no sugar added etc. juice into ice cubes for their fids as a treat. You could also freeze plain water and serves it with some normal (un frozen) water Perhaps that's an option?

RainbowFlo

Real Name
Estella
Love the idea!

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
You could also try frozen grapes. Kiwi and Blizzard wouldn't eat them (they prefer leafy greens) but I would think a fruit eating species would (I know I like them lol)

If you do, cut them in half, the skin is quite strong after freezing.

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
You could also try frozen grapes. Kiwi and Blizzard wouldn't eat them (they prefer leafy greens) but I would think a fruit eating species would (I know I like them lol)

If you do, cut them in half, the skin is quite strong after freezing.
I was thinking of stringing them up in the aviary too! You can be the test subject if you like them so much :rofl:

I always cut my grapes in half, Iris finds it easier.

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I was thinking of stringing them up in the aviary too! You can be the test subject if you like them so much :rofl:

I always cut my grapes in half, Iris finds it easier.
They're so good! The skin gets a little chewy, but because there's so much water in grapes, the inside gets really cold and partially frozen, but still soft! :laugh:

Reactions: Ali

RainbowFlo

Real Name
Estella
Now I wonder, how long could you leave this in a cage? Longer than fresh?

kiertje

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kira
Thanks so much ^^ Yeah I wasn't sure about ice cubes. My linnies have a water bottle but in this dutch bird group someone got mad at me for putting a ice cube in there . I'm gonna try it, hopes it helps them in some way ^^