• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cooler weather prep questions

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
As the weather begins to get cooler now that fall is here where I live, I have a couple of concerns and questions. I really need your help!!
  1. Feckless human that I am, I have not had my HVAC system serviced in a while. So, I need to take care of that in the coming week or two. What should I be aware of when this service is being performed that could be harmful for my birds?
  2. I have a Delonghi space heater for the birds, and a Sweeter Heater for Opie -- both of which I am burning the dust off of in my garage as I type this. The Sweeter Heater in particular has a very short electrical cord. What is the safest/best extension cord to use with that sort of heater so that I can hang it anyplace on Opie's cage and not worry about it being a safety hazzard?
Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I dont know about H vac systems but maybe @JLcribber can help.

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Seasonal HVAC service wouldn't concern me because they don't typically replace any parts during that process. If they do anything to agitate dust during cleaning, they should be vacuuming it at the source and containing it there, rather than allowing it to blow through the ducts. Duct cleaning is a separate process and is another matter, as that can dislodge dust that will be blown through the home -- I'd isolate the birds for that, run the furnace fan, and also run air purifiers for a while before their return

A burner replacement is about the only thing I would be concerned about, because that has manufacturing coatings that get burned off when it's first fired (if it's multi-stage, then all stages need to be triggered to perform a thorough burn-off).

For extension cords, just note the amount of draw from your heater, and select a cord that's rated for that -- with an appropriate length to avoid tripping.

Edit: just checked their site and their largest unit only consumes 150 watts of power and draws 1.4 amps, so any extension cord can handle that.

Last edited:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
You
As the weather begins to get cooler now that fall is here where I live, I have a couple of concerns and questions. I really need your help!!
  1. Feckless human that I am, I have not had my HVAC system serviced in a while. So, I need to take care of that in the coming week or two. What should I be aware of when this service is being performed that could be harmful for my birds?
  2. I have a Delonghi space heater for the birds, and a Sweeter Heater for Opie -- both of which I am burning the dust off of in my garage as I type this. The Sweeter Heater in particular has a very short electrical cord. What is the safest/best extension cord to use with that sort of heater so that I can hang it anyplace on Opie's cage and not worry about it being a safety hazzard?
Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!
1. As Steve said if its just a service I would not have any concerns. If they have to replace a burner (not likely) then you have to move the birds while they fire it up. Even duct cleaning is not a concern to me. We do it every year and the furnace is right next to the bird aviaries. They use a big vacuum truck that creates a giant negative air pressure in the ducts. Anything they shake loose is going "outside" into that truck.

2. The rule of thumb with cords is thicker is better. The longer it is the thicker it needs to be to carry the same load. If you have to buy one a 25 foot cord that is "14 gauge " wire will safely handle just about anything you plug into it. Easily run a 15 amp skilsaw all day long.

You can check if a cord is good enough by running your desired machine for 15 - 20 minutes. Then go feel the plug and cord near the outlet where you plugged it in. If it is warm/hot your cord is too thin.