• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cool or warm humidifier?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PerfectlyParrot

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kathy
Okay, so my old humidifier gave up. So I went and bought a new one, its a Hunter, NO WHERE on it did it say cool mist humidifier, but when I brought it home and turned it on only air came out. So I called the company. Come to find out its a cool mist humidifier....not what I wanted.

My question is, will it work as good as a warm mist? I know that doctors usually suggest cool ones since warm ones can breed so much bacteria. But the way this is set up no moisture comes out at all, something about the way it evaporates. I don't know, technically challenged in that area, but the company said it works just as good.

For those of you who use humidifiers what are your thoughts?

Trice

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Trice
Warm mist humidifier is what I use around Angel. She seems to be fine with it in the room. Although I don't use it a alot. Nice to have this when I need it. Since having the warm mist. As a personal choice I wouldn't go back to the cool mist.

Disadvantage is I have to clean it often.

PerfectlyParrot

Real Name
Kathy
I do like the warm mist, I use mine all winter long since we heat with wood and it really dries everything out. I may just have a mental block though lol.

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've used both and I prefer the warm over the cold. I live in the North East and the cold just sucks the moisture right out of the air, so I have a humidifier running all winter. I always worried about the cool one chilling the birds. Adding warm moisture to air seems to keep the house warmer without turning the thermostat up. I've been able to maintain a better moisture level with the warm mist too. I have the Honeywell Quick Steam Humidifier.

Karen

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
I have a whole house humdifier (Kenmore from Sears, same as the Emerson one) - works great, no white dust, keeps the humidity at a constant level - has a hygrometer built into the cord and I also have a hygrometer by Boogies (CAG) cage and they are usually pretty close.

I do change the filter more often than they recommend, but I think it is just my house being so old (it's past 90) and not sealed like newer houses that makes it necessary

we also have a wood burning fireplace that stays in nearly constant use during the cooler months

Nelson & Gang

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dana
There is a link for an article http://www.avianweb.com/humidifiers.htm that discusses the use of humidifiers & vaporizors.

Quote:

IMPORTANT FOR BIRD OWNERS!
  • Do not use any scented fluids that may come with a unit (air fresheners). They may not be safe for your birds, even if they are "natural" essential oils or Vicks VapoSteam. These inhalants and the resulting medicated vapor are not safe around birds.
  • Avianweb Visitor Pauline Reports: "The Vicks humidifier has a non-stick material" Therefore, it should not be used around birds.
  • NOTE: Humidifiers have been mentioned by veterinarians and others as a possible source of mold spores that can cause aspergillosis in birds. Humidifiers need to be properly maintained (as mentioned above). Vets suggest that parrot owners use warm mist humidifiers or vaporizers that boil water prior to releasing it into the air.
I've used both, but you have to be very careful when using a cool air humidifier to make sure your unit stays clean and your water is changed often to avoid any possible contaminants.

Jeddy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
Wouldn't the warm mist produce more mold then the cold mist??

Quest

Real Name
Judy
Dana,
Thanks for the tips about the humidifiers.
I do worry about aspergillosis so I know I must
clean often if I use one. Good info.

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi Jeddy,

I was really concerned about that as I have a bird with Aspergillosis. We have it under control at the moment, but I always worry. One of the reasons I went with the warm mist is because I felt the steam would help with the bacteria and mold concerns. I clean mine every day just to be safe(r).

This statement is from the product info: Humidifier water should be changed frequently and the tank washed well each week to prevent bacteria, mold, and other impurities from developing, though the heating process should kill many of these unhealthy particles.

Karen

Nelson & Gang

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dana
What Karen states is very correct. Using a warm air humidifier uses enough heat through the coiling system to kill any particles or bacteria that would normally enter the air through a cool air system. However, you do need to make sure you clean it properly b/c if you turn it off & the water sits, you can create bacteria & other unhealthy particles.

I know someone w/ a cockatoo w/ asper that uses a warm humidifier w/ her birds b/c her winter dry air causes feather destructive behaviors in 2 of her birds. She uses only distilled water in hers.

On another note, if you want to add moisture to your air and you cover your birds at night ... consider running your bird covers through the rinse cycle on your washer & placing them over the cages damp. As they dry through the night the moisture is released into your air and they are dry in the morning. Until we got our bird room here in FL, we did this at night w/ our birds ... it seems like 95 here year round & it's very dry heat a lot of the time.

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I recently bought and returned a warm air mist one from Bionaire because when I was setting it up the heating element looked like it was covered in teflon, and the instruction book said how it was "coated" to keep minerals and salts from sticking to the heater.
not heating no teflon 'round my birds!
So just beware!

PerfectlyParrot

Real Name
Kathy
The warm mist humidifiers will kill the bacteria in the water you are using but can create more bacteria in the air than a cool mist. Debbie you are correct, I was looking at several and one even stated it was coated in teflon to make for easier cleaning, put that one back on the shelf fast!

From what I have read the cool mist is a better choice for me especially with running a wood stove. There is no thermostat and sometimes you are running around in shorts in January! My office and where the birds are also happens to be where the stove is (yes I am aware of the dangers of that and the precautions to take). They say when you cannot regulate your temperature well in a warmer environment the warm mist can actually make it harder to breathe and create more bacteria. The one I bought is also "antimicrobial" so it takes extra steps to cut down on the bacteria. That is not to say it does not need cleaned. In my reading over the last few days I think there are many things to consider, but I think the cool mist just might work better for me, guess we'll see!:D

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
i use 3 in my big room 1 in bedroom all are cool mis i have to fill mine twise a day as my place is dry i have filters in 2 and change it 1/2 ways through winter months
mangod cage is about 2 feet from floor rad or what ever it is so 2 are near his cage and i see the mist comming out i do not have it blowing on his cage i also open the balconie door 2 times a day to change the air in apt when i do this morning and befor he goes to bed he comes in my bedroom when i do this .
many times ill boil water and add spices to it makes the place smell nice

doll mango

M

M.C Bird Rescue

I also use warm mist for many reasons. Even for my children as the cool mist I see throw out so many chemials into the air. I am overly worried about all chemicals in my house. Not worried about the kids getting fingers bit off by birds..NOPE..I worry about stupid chemicals and toxins. hahahaha.
Just kidding. My kids know no fingers in cages. They have been raised with Fids of all shapes and sizes...and tortoises, snakes, lizards, arachnids. LOL
Back to humidifiers..I keep one on at all times in the bird room in the fall and winter because I have so many pluckers it helps them, plus it gets so dry in here..I couldnt imagine a dry room would suit them well.

M

M.C Bird Rescue

What Karen states is very correct. Using a warm air humidifier uses enough heat through the coiling system to kill any particles or bacteria that would normally enter the air through a cool air system. However, you do need to make sure you clean it properly b/c if you turn it off & the water sits, you can create bacteria & other unhealthy particles.

I know someone w/ a cockatoo w/ asper that uses a warm humidifier w/ her birds b/c her winter dry air causes feather destructive behaviors in 2 of her birds. She uses only distilled water in hers.

On another note, if you want to add moisture to your air and you cover your birds at night ... consider running your bird covers through the rinse cycle on your washer & placing them over the cages damp. As they dry through the night the moisture is released into your air and they are dry in the morning. Until we got our bird room here in FL, we did this at night w/ our birds ... it seems like 95 here year round & it's very dry heat a lot of the time.
Thats a GREAT idea. :dance5:

tikileahsmom

Moving in
Welcome to Foy's Pet Supplies!
Here's a link to a humidifier made just for birds. It's a warm mist with no teflon parts. It's called a JWR Rainforest humidifier. If you have a subscription to Bird Talk you can order it through an add they have in their magazine and get a discount. I think it's 20% but can't remember. The cost of it is $199.00 without the discount.

Status
Not open for further replies.