• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cool foraging ideas....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I am looking hot and heavy for foraging ideas to use on Kita and ran across this on one of my favorite blogs:

A Bird's Best Life

[h=1]What’s in the Box?[/h] Posted on July 29, 2012
One of my flock’s favorite type of toy are foraging boxes. These are simple, inexpensive & fun.
I use clean food boxes, like pasta boxes, snack bar, cereal boxes, that kind of thing. The FDA requires the glues and dyes and papers used in food boxes to be nontoxic incase a child were to be fooled by the pretty pictures and try to eat the box.
I will thread the box along with an assortment of toy part (yes, sometimes I get way too cutesy and color coordinated the toy parts with the coloring of the box) onto poly rope, hemp rope or a stainless skewer.
I stuff the boxes with food items such as nuts, pellets, nutraberries, dehydrated treats that are wrapped in papertowels, coffee filters, muffin cup papers, corn husks, etc…and foot toys or toy parts, and shredded paper or papertowels. Sometimes I build in inner layers of foraging by including an unwaxed Dixie cup or plastic snack cup inside the box, with the treats inside the cups.
The lightweight cardboard used in most food boxes is very easy to shred, and some boxes, such as many pasta boxes have “windows” in them (just be sure to remove the cellophane) to give parrots new to foraging a peek inside.
(My Girls were kind enough to chew just enough to show a cut away view)
For more experienced foragers I will sometimes buy heavier cardboard shipping boxes and use those, which require more chewing to get to the goodies.

My birds have learned that there is always something fun inside the box, and they can’t wait to tear into it and see what they can find!

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great idea thank you:) I will be trying this.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Great ideas! I just bought unprinted egg cartons to use with my conures...even my cheekies like them. I know it may be a silly question but can you share their favorite treats that you stuff inside?

wonderb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
The cardboard box is Olive's favorite for sure. Inside I put half destroyed toy parts from old toys, crumpled pieces of paper, and almonds. I usually tie a couple toy parts onto the front too, just to get her attention. :) Right now she's working on a flat rate USPS box I tied to the side of the cage. The only problem is that I don't have a steady supply of boxes!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
:wow:

fabulous ideas!!!

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Wonderful ideas, they would be a big hit with many birdies! :cool1:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
A lot of fun ideas!

Matt

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Great ideas! I just bought unprinted egg cartons to use with my conures...even my cheekies like them. I know it may be a silly question but can you share their favorite treats that you stuff inside?
For Kita (she eats nut shells) I am stuffing dry veggie pasta, pine nuts, pistachios, dried cranberries and big wood beads...
For everybody else I added almonds and Filberts and shredded paper... for Quito, I put a couple of stainless steel bolts LOL!!!!

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Great idea!! :laughing12:

danadear

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dana
Awesome.. I am loving this blog too..thanks for the tip!

Butters Mom

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Elise
Can't wait to try this. Butters doesn't chew too much but she'll have a great time pulling everything out!
Zoot will chew it to pieces!
Great idea!!! Thanks!!

lupe

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
omg THANKS!! I thought I would have to open up an expense account for Elvis's toys..lol
Now I can make them myself..& have fun doing it as well as seening him chew thru:) it...

Status
Not open for further replies.