• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cookware

Toja

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Wiktoria
Hi! I just wanted to ask for advice :) I am 18 and I have been waiting about 5 years to get a parrot now, I was supposed to get it last year but I had some health problems which I had to wait to get through but now I am able to get one! But the only thing is that I live with my mom as I am recovering and my mom uses non stick cookware and I read that it is really bad for a parrot's respiratory system. Our house is a two story home, the kitchen is the furthest from our stairs and we even have a door to the stairs so would everything be okay if I just kept my parrot upstairs whenever there would be cooking going on and i would just close that door and open the windows? I need to 100% make sure because that is really worrying me!:( Thank you!

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to AA, Toja! I agree with Aves.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Will it be okay if your bird is all the way upstairs?

Probably.

100% certain? Nope.

It only takes one time.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I wouldn’t chance it (even though it sounds really safe and good having closing doors and having a certain distance between bird and kitchen) for the simple fact that if there is ever a problem, it will not be the sort of thing that you will get warning with... it will be a dead bird that alerts you to the once off problem. Smoke and smells still make their way through closed doors and over distances- deadly gasses are no different.
Best to either replace all the current cookware with healthier safe options (and double check all other house items, appliances, personals and cleaning chemicals too) or wait till you’re out on your own.

My family are all very very considerate of my birds and their life altering needs and I still have serious issues from time to time with some of the products or items they seem to think will be safe.... this week it was a new floor rug and a bottle of hair removal cream as it advertises natural products in it and low scent and irritation etc. I no longer get angry or surprised with this stuff but I am constantly tired and stressed about what the next deadly thing I’ll find is and I’m forever paying extra attention to what the members of my home are doing and using.