• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cookware

Gokha

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Gaukharay
What would be the safest cookware to use around birds?
Cast iron? Stainless steel? Ceramic?
maybe there’s a specific brand I could look into?
Planning to change all of my cookware and want to make sure it’s 100% bird-safe

BirdLady13

• Teflon is poisonous to birds.
  • Ceramic and cast iron are both free of harmful chemicals, therefore safe.
  • Check out Caraway; they sell a cookware set that’s free of Teflon, heavy metals, and other potentially toxic materials.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The chemicals you need to look out for are PTFE and PFOA. Ceramic, stainless steel and cast iron are all safe as long as they are clearly labelled as being free of those two chemicals. Ceramic (and maybe enamelled cast iron) is probably most similar to teflon; stainless steel and cast iron both require a slightly different cooking technique. Non-enamelled cast iron requires seasoning with oil to keep it in good condition.

I have a ProCook ceramic set but I don't know if this is available in UAE.

Gokha

Real Name
Gaukharay
The chemicals you need to look out for are PTFE and PFOA. Ceramic, stainless steel and cast iron are all safe as long as they are clearly labelled as being free of those two chemicals. Ceramic (and maybe enamelled cast iron) is probably most similar to teflon; stainless steel and cast iron both require a slightly different cooking technique. Non-enamelled cast iron requires seasoning with oil to keep it in good condition.

I have a ProCook ceramic set but I don't know if this is available in UAE.
could you please explain what do you mean by ceramic and enameled cast iron are similar to teflon? Do you mean in a way food cooks inside? :D

I found this set on Amazon, it’s pricey but if it lasts a long time and safe for my birds, then I don’t mind investing money into it. But my concern is that it doesn’t really mention that it’s free of those two chemicals.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
could you please explain what do you mean by ceramic and enameled cast iron are similar to teflon? Do you mean in a way food cooks inside? :D
Yes, exactly that. Ceramic needs very little oil to prevent sticking and is fairly forgiving. Enamelled cast iron needs a little more oil in my experience, but as long as you take care of it then you should be fine. Cast iron (both non-enamelled and enamelled) tends to be very heavy so could be something that you need to take into consideration, especially if you have kids who like to cook.

Stainless steel requires more attention to temperature - here's a good guide: Learn How to Cook With Stainless Steel (Without Your Food Sticking)

Uncoated cast iron is a whole thing in itself. Seasoning the pan with oil is very important. Over time, the layers of oil build up and create a non-stick surface. However, washing the pan with soap and cooking acidic things in the pan (like tomato-based sauces) will break down the seasoning and you'll have to start all over again.

It's very much about your cooking style and what you intend to make in it. I have an enamelled cast iron pot that I use for baking bread, soup, risotto and similar, then I have a set of ceramic pans for everything else.

Gokha

Real Name
Gaukharay
Yes, exactly that. Ceramic needs very little oil to prevent sticking and is fairly forgiving. Enamelled cast iron needs a little more oil in my experience, but as long as you take care of it then you should be fine. Cast iron (both non-enamelled and enamelled) tends to be very heavy so could be something that you need to take into consideration, especially if you have kids who like to cook.

Stainless steel requires more attention to temperature - here's a good guide: Learn How to Cook With Stainless Steel (Without Your Food Sticking)

Uncoated cast iron is a whole thing in itself. Seasoning the pan with oil is very important. Over time, the layers of oil build up and create a non-stick surface. However, washing the pan with soap and cooking acidic things in the pan (like tomato-based sauces) will break down the seasoning and you'll have to start all over again.

It's very much about your cooking style and what you intend to make in it. I have an enamelled cast iron pot that I use for baking bread, soup, risotto and similar, then I have a set of ceramic pans for everything else.
Thank you very much for the explanation! I’ll look into it and visit couple of local stores, hopefully i’ll find a decent cookware :D
I do get my food burnt from time to time, so I guess ceramic would be best choice for me

Reactions: Ali