• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cooking with my Green Cheek Conure

Nikorice

Meeting neighbors
Good evening everyone, I'm taking a lot of time to reflect on what I could have done wrong with Peaches (Rip Lovie)
I've been cooking with Blue Diamond cookware and I was wondering if this is safe. It's ceramic and nonstick but claims there are no toxins used. I would LOVE some links to cookware that anyone else uses too though. I REFUSE to cook until I get responses to know for sure. I have done a decent amount of research but I'm kind of new to this. I don't use candles sprays or air fresheners in the house at all anymore and I'm trying to find alternatives to using Clorox wipes and 409/Bleach. Thank you ❤❤

Attachments

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Bleach can cause respiratory issues. Where do you need to use bleach?
Vinegar & water can be used as a household cleaner. F10 solution can be used to if you can find it.

Keep going thru the house & researching.
Don't use aerosols either like furniture polish or even liquid furniture polish. Those solvents can kill. Glues etc, paint, nail polish, some small kitchen appliances, hairdryers...everything has to be checked into.

Not sure about ceramic cookware myself. I can speculate but you would have to look up the specifics to the brand.

Toxin Free: Free of PFAS, PFOA, Lead or Cadmium

There might be other things it should say its free of to be safe some comp are omitting?
Its leaving out the PTFE for teflon

I use stainless, cast iron uncoated & only the best enamel coated to be sure Le Creuset & Staub. You sometimes can;t trust the enamel on some of the cheaper ones & if they have a dark enamel inside you can never tell what that is in older cookware.

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Check with the company if your cookware is PFOA and PFTE free. If it is then it should be fine.

F10 also makes an actual cleaner as well as a disinfectant if you’re not comfortable using vinegar and water to clean most things. I find steam or vinegar and water and/or plain old hot water and dish soap are fine for cleaning most surfaces. Bicarbonate soda and vinegar or lemon can be used to clean many things also- I always have doors or windows open when using vinegar because it stinks till it dries.

Last edited:

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
As long as it is PFOA and PTFE free, you should be fine. If you're concerned, you can always double check here, or contact the manufacturer.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine

Seems to imply that teflon is a form of PFAS & it may not be made anymore.

I don't know why the teflon term PDFE was dropped & not included. Is it by definition or omission.

I'd really be careful with the new non stick cookware.

It does not say PDFE free...so it concerns me...

From website
Toxin Free: Free of PFAS, PFOA, Lead or Cadmium

Craftydan

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dan Crews
PTFE is a PFAS -- one is the specific "plastic", the other is the "class" of similar plastics.

I'd expect nearly all Ceramic pans would be PTFE free, since ceremic is slippery enough on it's own to need help and neither substance likes bonding to the other (heck PTFE Hates bonding with practically EVERYTHING), but their marketing is trying sooooo hard to muddy the water.

Nikorice, hate to say it, but you're down to asking their Customer Support, and *hoping* the guy on the other end knows what they're talking about. Their marketing already says "No", but then talks of grand materials they won't describe. It's always your call, but if I was in your place, with history being so fresh, I'm not sure what could eliminate enough doubt from that to put my mind at ease. Sometimes you go out of your way for peace of mind.

If you're looking for bird-safe alternatives, true ceramics are PTFE free (Dang Blue Diamond being so cagey about it!), Cast Iron makes a good non-stick surface when seasoned and treated right, and standard uncoated pans do work, you just have to watch what you're burning in them :scared2: