• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cooking smells? Bad for birds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
I deep fry but not a whole lot - i actually deep fry in the only stainless steel pot I own, i do own a deep fryer but it's a newer one and the cord doesn't get plugged into the fryer it gets attached with magnets and its never stayed attached and now it really doesn't stay attached and i can't figure out why - but if it isn't attached it doesn't work LOL so its sitting on a shelf in the laundry room collecting dust

But my birds room is right beside my kitchen, I have a sheet up for a "door" I've been known to burn food ( lately its been more and more my mind just isn't with me any more) but i open the windows and let the smoke out so far NO bird has died because I got some meat black here and there.

but I do have 2 very annoying smoke detectors all you have to do is turn the toaster on (well when i had one ) and the stupid things go off same thing when I open the oven - no smoke what so ever One is in my sons room right off the kitchen the other used to be in the kitchen now it sits in the laundry room window sill - off from the kitchen so when I cook i have to close my sons door and laundry room door just so i can open the oven after its been turned on

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
No but honestly guys, in a none vegetarian train of thought. Birds in the wild, who actually dont live in the city, have clean fresh air, smell of wet plants, nature, and flowers and fruits, etc. They'd never be around cooked meat or cooked smells period. It always made me think, is that healthy for them? If it gives me a headache, would it give my vegetarian birds one too?

Its like heavy perfumes and incense. Those are bad for everyone. I think heavy cooking smells can be too. It just clogs up all the clean fresh air.

Just a thought.

TITANIS

No but honestly guys, in a none vegetarian train of thought. Birds in the wild, who actually dont live in the city, have clean fresh air, smell of wet plants, nature, and flowers and fruits, etc. They'd never be around cooked meat or cooked smells period. It always made me think, is that healthy for them? If it gives me a headache, would it give my vegetarian birds one too?

Its like heavy perfumes and incense. Those are bad for everyone. I think heavy cooking smells can be too. It just clogs up all the clean fresh air.

Just a thought.
Mercedez, I'm not a vegetarian (yet) but I'm exactly the same way as you are when it comes to food smells. I 'm hyper-sensitive to everything that's cooking whether it's vegetable or animal. I get nauseous and sometimes severe headaches. Actually, even plain pasta boiling in water bothers me. I honestly think you are asking a valid question but wish I knew the answer. I think it boils down (pardon the pun) to a difference between smells and fumes.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Mercedez, I'm not a vegetarian (yet) but I'm exactly the same way as you are when it comes to food smells. I 'm hyper-sensitive to everything that's cooking whether it's vegetable or animal. I get nauseous and sometimes severe headaches. Actually, even plain pasta boiling in water bothers me. I honestly think you are asking a valid question but wish I knew the answer. I think it boils down (pardon the pun) to a difference between smells and fumes.
Yeah Im the same way. Anything cooking, it bothers me. And since birds are SO sensitive, much sensitive than people, and they typically have no where to go, either stuck on a cage or playstand, they cant get away from what bothers them. This can have such a negative impact on our feathered companions. It can be a simple fix, but many dont think about it. I really think smells can bother our birds.

Once I started eating healthier, I became more aware of the smells, and things around me that I wasnt aware of before. Im a health attic, and I just realize that I cannot tolerate cooking foods. And seriously wonder if birds cannot either.

It makes me curious as to many birds who are in a "good home" and they just start plucking for "no apparent reason". I for one believe there is always a reason (captivity is one), and perhaps another big one is "not clean fresh air".

Last edited:

TITANIS

Yeah Im the same way. Anything cooking, it bothers me. And since birds are SO sensitive, much sensitive to people, and they typically have no where to go, either stuck on a cage or playstand, they cant get away from what bothers them. And this can be such a simple thing to fix, and yet such a negative impact on our feathered companions. I really think smells can bother our birds.
Definitely. If smells bother us, cats and dogs, you can bet they will bother birds as well. However, whether it can be harmful or not I think will largely depend on what's being cooked and how strong it is. Very interesting topic. :cool3:

Status
Not open for further replies.