• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

cooking plates...

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
When I moved into my flat, the former owners let their stove, an older model with cooking plates. Working fine so I'll keep it for now, but then, I'm always afraid Pichu will burn himself on the plates, since they take such a long time to cool down.
So far I've been covering them with a large strainer but it is not ideal since he can still burn himself if he walks on the sides.
I think he can feel if it is warm and won't approach, but I don't want to rely on that to keep him safe. I found plates covers, but they are made of steel, meant to keep the plate clean and not to protect fingers or feet from burning themselves... Of course there is no lock on the stove itself (I remember there was one on the stove when I was a kid!!) so apart from building a little cage around the warm plate each time, I don't know what to do... How are you protecting your birds/animals/kids from hot cooking plates?

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
induction cooktops and individual cooking "burners" do not stay warm for very long. They actually never heat up, just heat the pan magnetically. When the pan gets hot it does warm the cook surface a bit though.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
induction cooktops and individual cooking "burners" do not stay warm for very long. They actually never heat up, just heat the pan magnetically. When the pan gets hot it does warm the cook surface a bit though.
yeah, but this is not induction, it is old fashion cooking plates. They stay warm for a good 20 minutes

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
yeah, but this is not induction, it is old fashion cooking plates. They stay warm for a good 20 minutes
I understand. I was making a suggestion in case you were looking to purchase something new now or in the future to solve the problem. I didn't know what kind of solution you were seeking.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I understand. I was making a suggestion in case you were looking to purchase something new now or in the future to solve the problem. I didn't know what kind of solution you were seeking.
No, I'll keep it as long as it works, but I need something to cover the plates when they are warm. Until now I've used strainers but it doesn't feel really safe. I wanted to find some kind of lock but I discovered the locks meant to cover those plates are in metal, so they protect the plate from getting dirty, but not people/animals from being burnt if they touch them.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
How about putting water in the pan you just cooked in on the hot burner, and putting a lid on it?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I am guessing you are unable to keep your bird out if your kitchen till they cool down. I’d go with putting cold pots of water on the plates once they are finished being used. The cold water will help cool the plates faster and also cover them from your birds feet but I’m not sure how you can keep the surrounding area of the plates safe as it does tend to warm up the immediate area around the plates.
Hmmm, I’m wondering if a nice size flat bbq plate might be of help?? I know mine used to fit perfectly over my old stove top and with it being cast iron it takes a bit to warm it up.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I am guessing you are unable to keep your bird out if your kitchen till they cool down. I’d go with putting cold pots of water on the plates once they are finished being used. The cold water will help cool the plates faster and also cover them from your birds feet but I’m not sure how you can keep the surrounding area of the plates safe as it does tend to warm up the immediate area around the plates.
Hmmm, I’m wondering if a nice size flat bbq plate might be of help?? I know mine used to fit perfectly over my old stove top and with it being cast iron it takes a bit to warm it up.
Yeah, I think there is no simple answer to my problem... I could keep him out of the kitchen, but he usually goes in there because the budgies annoy him in the living room, so he goes and hide in a cabinet. He does not usually go down on the stove, it is just a safety precaution. I have an oven rack I use if I've been using several burners, but I have to elevate it a little so he can't walk "through" it.
Ideally I wanted to find some silicone locks or something like that but I don't know where I'd find those, so I'll probably end up McGyvering something a little more practical than my strainers and oven rack in the end!

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I can’t picture what you mean when you mention some type of locks.

Maybe I am picturing a completely different sort of stove top/ hot plates set up to the ones I am familiar with?

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Type of stove:

upload_2019-9-11_8-38-35.jpeg

Metallic burner covers

upload_2019-9-11_8-39-51.jpeg

But actually, looking for those pictures I seem to have found cover burners of granite... Would be perfect! I just have to check what they take for international shipping.. Granite man.. o_O
Edit: They are made of steel, looking like granite :arghh:

Last edited:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I have some baskets like that here from set Elfa shelves and stuff we used to have. We don’t have much of it left now but it is sturdy and very handy. They come in real handy in the garden to keep the wild birds off my strawberries lol.