• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Convo vs Senegal

Birdfreak

Meeting neighbors
Okay so long sorry short….
I had an African grey years ago and loved him very much. It has been 13 years since I’ve had a bird and I am ready to have one again. But this time I have a family.

To me The African grey has always been “THE BIRD” however, where I’m living they are hard to come by.

There is a 15 year old Senegal 6 hours away. Everything included (cage and carrier, perches) for 1000$ cad and I can tell the owner really cares abo ut him and will stay in contact if I need help/have questions. A grey would be 3000-3500$, there’s one in town for 2700$ but the guy seems shifty, one 6 hours away for 3000 with cage. All the people selling greys that I have spoken with only seem to care about the money and not the bird
Before I start, yes I have tried the 1 local rescue and they do not have any greys AND they want $500 for the bird AND $25 a month for the rest of the bids life and the bird is still in their name. Not sure how common this is…

So, I have a family now. A 9&12 year old. Only the 9 year old shows any interest in having a pet. How involved he’ll actually be, I do not know. Hubby said to get the bird for me, not for him.

I do not know much about senegals and I have forgotten a lot about greys. But I’m trying to figure out if I would be good with a Senegal, we did a video chat for about 30 min, he seems to be very tame and friendly (but also perhaps needy- very hormonal-she was petting him on the belly and back etc, so it might stop when I get him and only ever touch his head?). Also he was on her shoulder a lot which I was always told was bad news and I’m not sure how to stop that from happening.

Will I be happy with a Senegal or will my want for a grey take over /: make me regret? Am I just crazy lol.

what are the personality differences between the two? I hear greys can be really phobic but I haven’t had that experience.
Tia for any advice

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
I am NOT an expert but here is my perspective. I am a mom of 2. I do not own either a Grey nor a Senegal but my family raised me as a teenager with a Senegal and I spend every weekend with African greys (mostly CAGs). I personally would worry that if you take in a Senegal with behaviors that are problematic for you and your family (shoulder perching and hormone inducing owner behavior) then the extra effort you likely will have to make to ensure that parrot is family friendly and safe will make you always wonder if you should have gotten a grey instead. Since you’re making a commitment that will likely last until your children are well into adulthood, I would prioritize the bird that is most likely to fit into your family —which in my limited experience would be one that is either young or an adult that has been with children. Of course nothing guarantees you’ll get your heart bird but if I had to hedge my bets I would unfortunately (so love Senegals) bet against the parrot who already has behaviors you’ll need to redresss. More experienced members will provide their insights and at the end of the day your commitment will supersede all else but I hope you get the bird that you get to meet with your kids and feel a connection to.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I haven't seen greys for sale under $5,000. If a grey is "The Bird", that's what you need to work towards. Always trust your gut there are more scammers and flippers than quality sources of parrots nowadays. It's a lot of money, but it's not worth it to have regrets. And a parrot like a grey could live 50+ years, so look at the cost like it's amortized.

Birdfreak

Meeting neighbors
Yes but so many people are anti buying baby birds and I feel kinda bad doing that since I’m 40. So much pressure to “adopt” an older bird where I am. The last one I had decades ago was a rescue and he was great ‍

but I think you are both right. I need the “wow” factor dont I. lol

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
Yes but so many people are anti buying baby birds and I feel kinda bad doing that since I’m 40. So much pressure to “adopt” an older bird where I am. The last one I had decades ago was a rescue and he was great ‍

but I think you are both right. I need the “wow” factor dont I. lol
I think it would be great to adopt an older bird. My concern was more that the older Senegal you’ve identified has behaviors that may take a lot of work to redress. My hope for you is that you find an older bird to adopt that has been with kids or demonstrates an ability and willingness to live in a household with children. Wishing you all the best.

Snowghost

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I have had parrots of all kinds in 40 years, most were given to me, even my White Front Amazon, and my boy Paco, a CAG. My personal thoughts are unless you are buying from a reputable breeder, adopt or rescue. Check you local vets, many people take on a parrot and have no idea what they are getting into.

Lee C

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lee
I have a TAG and Senegals. I love the Senegals, but I find them to be significantly more challenging in many ways. After meeting several other Senegal keepers (through the rescue), and working with a few avian behaviorists over the years, this seems to be the general consensus. Senegals can be challenging. They are great parrots, for sure, but challenging. Numerous people have advised me to rehome one Senegal due the nature of the challenges, and I was crazy for taking on another Senegal who tries to attack his caregiver. We are all figuring it out together, and I won't quit on them.

All of my parrots have had multiple homes before me. My rescue recommended the first Senegal as a companion for my TAG, from that rescue. I was brand new to parrots, and I now realize that was a bad plan. Their sizes are too different, and their temperaments are not as similar as I was told, which I'd say is irrelevant. So, I got my Senegal a Senegal. I'm still working on getting my TAG a TAG. I am a big proponent of same-species companions. The Senegals have changed each others lives, and they've changed each other. It is rewarding to see them progress, but it takes a good bit of my supervision.

I hope you adopt. There are so many parrots in rescues; but, I know it can take time and work to find the right one, and working with a rescue to adopt can seem a lot harder than buying a parrot--but, I think it's too easy to "buy a parrot".

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I don't see any major issues with the Senegal's behavior at all. It wasn't aggressive even if it was hormonal. Sitting on the shoulder isn't inherently bad. I don't know what you mean by "needy," but a lot of parrots will want to be on or near you no matter the species or circumstances. (My Indian ringneck is sitting on my wrist as I type this.)

Can you tell us more about what traits you're looking for? What traits are you drawn to in the grey?

I have a CAG and a ringneck, and had a Meyer's (Senegal relative) for a very long time. My CAG, like many, can be kind of aloof and hands off. She is phobic of a few random things, and spooks easily with sudden noises, like when I drop my cellphone. She is overall pretty chill and great, though.

My Meyer's was a lot more interactive and loved head scratches. Not much scared her. My ringneck is more playful and has the steadiest temperament of any bird I've had.

I have an 1,100-sq-ft house, and it feels really tight and confining when my grey, on very rare occasions, makes a flight across my open living room and dining room. However, my ringneck is able to fly around in laps and get in a lot of exercise. I think this is something to consider when considering species.

Lee C

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lee
I have an 1,100-sq-ft house, and it feels really tight and confining when my grey, on very rare occasions, makes a flight across my open living room and dining room.
Yes, same here. My entry-level floor (kitchen, living room, and dining room) is about 1,200 square feet, and open floorplan. The Senegals do a lap, and they're back in just a few seconds. My TAG looks so much bigger flying in the same space!

A TAG has about a 25.5" wingspan, and a Senegal's is about 19". Seeing them fly indoors, the TAG seems much bigger, comparatively.

Birdfreak

Meeting neighbors
I have a TAG and Senegals. I love the Senegals, but I find them to be significantly more challenging in many ways. After meeting several other Senegal keepers (through the rescue), and working with a few avian behaviorists over the years, this seems to be the general consensus. Senegals can be challenging. They are great parrots, for sure, but challenging. Numerous people have advised me to rehome one Senegal due the nature of the challenges, and I was crazy for taking on another Senegal who tries to attack his caregiver. We are all figuring it out together, and I won't quit on them.

All of my parrots have had multiple homes before me. My rescue recommended the first Senegal as a companion for my TAG, from that rescue. I was brand new to parrots, and I now realize that was a bad plan. Their sizes are too different, and their temperaments are not as similar as I was told, which I'd say is irrelevant. So, I got my Senegal a Senegal. I'm still working on getting my TAG a TAG. I am a big proponent of same-species companions. The Senegals have changed each others lives, and they've changed each other. It is rewarding to see them progress, but it takes a good bit of my supervision.

I hope you adopt. There are so many parrots in rescues; but, I know it can take time and work to find the right one, and working with a rescue to adopt can seem a lot harder than buying a parrot--but, I think it's too easy to "buy a parrot".
There’s only one adotion place near me (it’s an hour away. The next one is 5 hours away and not responsive) and they charge 500$ for the “adoption” which isn’t really an adoption. It seems it’s a rental because they want to charge you 20$ a month to have the bird for the rest of its life! And it stays in their name. But I pay the food and vet bills. It seems really odd to me. Wanted an African grey badly enough to go through the process but they do not even have any at the moment.I’m trying Kijiji for an older grey and all the people there are really shifty. I do not want a baby bird but it starting to seem like the easiest route. I hear all these stories of being being gifted these beautiful birds and I just wish!

Birdfreak

Meeting neighbors
I have had parrots of all kinds in 40 years, most were given to me, even my White Front Amazon, and my boy Paco, a CAG. My personal thoughts are unless you are buying from a reputable breeder, adopt or rescue. Check you local vets, many people take on a parrot and have no idea what they are getting into.
The adoption place isn’t really an option because of the way they do it (they charge 500$ for the bird and then 30$ a month for the birds life and it stays in their name, I pay food, toys, vet and they don’t have a grey anyways). There’s only one avian vet whom 5 hours distance, I will give them a call. I’m also looking at Kijiji but really no way to tell the birds history, or if it is healthy.

Birdfreak

Meeting neighbors
I don't see any major issues with the Senegal's behavior at all. It wasn't aggressive even if it was hormonal. Sitting on the shoulder isn't inherently bad. I don't know what you mean by "needy," but a lot of parrots will want to be on or near you no matter the species or circumstances. (My Indian ringneck is sitting on my wrist as I type this.)

Can you tell us more about what traits you're looking for? What traits are you drawn to in the grey?

I have a CAG and a ringneck, and had a Meyer's (Senegal relative) for a very long time. My CAG, like many, can be kind of aloof and hands off. She is phobic of a few random things, and spooks easily with sudden noises, like when I drop my cellphone. She is overall pretty chill and great, though.

My Meyer's was a lot more interactive and loved head scratches. Not much scared her. My ringneck is more playful and has the steadiest temperament of any bird I've had.

I have an 1,100-sq-ft house, and it feels really tight and confining when my grey, on very rare occasions, makes a flight across my open living room and dining room. However, my ringneck is able to fly around in laps and get in a lot of exercise. I think this is something to consider when considering species.
She implied that if he wasn’t with her all the time he would make very loud noises and then she added “ like all parrots do”. I haven’t had this experience. Maybe greys or the two greys I had were independent? I don’t know what specific things I like about them as they are really all I know. They are curious, intelligent, mine were very tame, liked to play, go on my hand, just chill with me, not necessarily on me all the time. I remember my bird had a perch for near the bathtub for when I would have a bath. He’s just chill out. He was so fun. Miss him.
I also like their size. I feel like a dental is kinda small. But now I feel bad for not taking him! But like. As my husband said this is my last bird to make it the one I want. I met a grey a couple of months ago that was a real plucker, wouldn’t step up on anything but a perch but would transfer to your arm (I had a bad shoulder at the time so this was very uncomfotable to hold the bird that way and I just felt like I would forget and get attacked when I’d offer my hand) and it also hated showers and I was just a bit… weary of it. So when I virtually meet this Senegal that is very sweet and cuddly and stepping up and down i hair got so excited lol. But when I see a grey, my heart melts.

Last edited: