• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

convincing parents to get a pet bird.

brooklynn

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
brooklynn
hey! so i’ve been wanting a bird for quite a while now and am starting to save up money. i’m specifically wanting a cockatiel, but i’m not quite sure how to get my parents on board with the idea. i haven’t asked yet my my mom is pretty stubborn about animals. i realize that birds are a HUGE commitment and i have plans on how to keep my bird happy and well cared for when i go into college and for the rest of its life. i’ve done a lot of research and know a lot about this specific bird and was wondering if anyone out there could help me have some ideas on convincing my parents, thanks!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Oh boy, this is a regularly asked question here. If you don’t get a heap of answers soon then I’ll come back and find some of the other threads to link for you.

Edit: no need..... @Zara just did as I was going to do.

GoDucks

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jamie
Are you a responsible person- do you do things without having to be asked? Have you ever taken care of an animal before?

My sister begged for a parakeet and finally got one for her 13th birthday. She was thrilled at first, but then came boys, dances, after school activities, and suddenly she was too busy to care for her little budgie. It fell on my mother to clean his cage and to feed and water him.

Think about it.

brooklynn

Real Name
brooklynn
Are you a responsible person- do you do things without having to be asked? Have you ever taken care of an animal before?

My sister begged for a parakeet and finally got one for her 13th birthday. She was thrilled at first, but then came boys, dances, after school activities, and suddenly she was too busy to care for her little budgie. It fell on my mother to clean his cage and to feed and water him.

Think about it.
yes to every question, i’ve had a gecko,hamsters, dogs, and cats, and i have birdsat before and did well. none of my pets care have fallen onto my parents.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Most run into problems with the severe changes needed to be made throughout the home by every member of the house, they run into issues with noise, then the biggie- taking the bird to the vet and paying the high vet fees that comes with owning birds. Parents have often refused to believe a bird is sick so have refused vet care or they’ve refused the vet care once they realise it’s usually much more expensive than taking your dog or cat to the vet- plus it’s not just any vet who will be able to treat birds so many refuse to do the hour or more travel to the AV.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
i have plans on how to keep my bird happy and well cared for when i go into college and for the rest of its life.
And just how do you plan to do that?

Greylady1966

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
If you mom is stubborn about animals and you do convince her to get a bird are you going to convince her to take the bird to an avian vet for checkups or if he has a illness? It's can be expensive but part of bringing a bird into your home. April 24th Howard's bill at the vet was 430 dollars, this Tuesday 275 dollars and that's not his meds or the drive. I'll do it anytime my parrots need it but don't underestimate the cost of what caring for a bird can be.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Wow - we do get this question here time, after time, after time.... These are irritating to me, because you seem to just assume that because YOU THINK YOU WANT A BIRD that the people here will encourage you. Not true. We don't care what you want or don't want - we only care about the welfare of the bird and we have seen many failures with young people getting birds. I also don't think it is appropriate to interfere between a child and his/her parents.

I have spent $1,300 to keep my bird alive in the last month - will your parents do that?

This is the type of plea we get - all of the time and this is the way it usually ends up.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Sounds like you have a full house of animals already. Who pays those vet bills? Can you save up a couple thousand dollars to start with? Can you find another home for the predator animals in your care?

OR better yet can you wait until you are independent and paying all your bills? Birds are very special companions. I suggest you volunteer your time taking care of some in a bird shelter where the birds are waiting to be adopted instead of wanting to convince your parents.

Last edited:

brooklynn

Real Name
brooklynn
Sounds like you have a full house of animals already. Who pays those vet bills? Can you save up a couple thousand dollars to start with? Can you find another home for the predator animals in your care?

OR better yet can you wait until you are independent and paying all your bills? Birds are very special companions. I suggest you volunteer your time taking care of some in a bird shelter where the birds are waiting to be adopted instead of wanting to convince your parents.
those are pets i’ve had in the past, currently i have dogs a cat and fish, all split between two homes.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I honestly think for the birds sake it is best to wait. I honestly think for your sake it is best to wait. Did you check out the links Zara posted? If not, please do and then search for more!
If your parents wanted a bird that may be very different but to put the pressure on them to get one without them knowing everything they need to know (and not just the nice fun stuff) is totally unfair to them and very very unfair and irresponsible to the bird. The things they need to know is stuff they wont want to bother learning unless it is them that is emotionally invested in bringing a bird home...... we see this stuff all the time. Birds getting covered when they should not be because people want to sleep in and dont like the noise, birds being sprayed and mistreated to scare them into silence, birds getting sick and not being taken to the vet- left to slowly die in agony, toxic substances being used around the bird, the bird being shoved in a wardrobe, shed, laundry to get it out of the way or shut it up, the bird being cage bound because we don't want bird poop on carpet or furniture, the bird getting put into a tiny cage because the cage doesn't suit the decor of the house or the cage is in the way, this list goes on for ever and is seriously so wrong and heart breaking..... when you are not an adult you have very little say on how these situations should be fixed, handled or controlled and the bird will suffer for your lack of say over your life and home environment.
If you are going to college then that is very unfair on the bird- they deserve their owners to give them a birdie lifestyle not just food and a cage and some attention when the owner has time, is bored or can be bothered. Birds like routine, they like company, they need exercise, they like to be able to live like a bird should (which is messy, loud, and very very expensive and time consuming) - most of these things do not work out so well when you are not even fully in control of your own life yet and are not sure what that will even look like.
I do not mean to be horrible but I really think you need to do the biggest search through this site for others in your situation and see how terribly it so often ends for the bird.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
What @Shezbug wrote is excellent advice. I hope you read it several times. It’s the reality of getting a bird at the wrong time of your young life. Birds are awesome companions and I hope you do volunteer work with them to learn what they need. After all it’s not about your needs, it’s about the birds. When you learn this your are on the right road.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Let's say your parents agree to let you have a bird. What next?
You'll need to convince them it needs a decent sized cage. Then you'll need to convince them it needs decent foods. Then you'll need to convince them your bird needs a vet checkup etc etc.
The spending doesn't stop at just the bird.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I think you can have a discussion with your parents but honestly a bird is a "family" pet because everyone has to make sacrifices. No Teflon pans, no burning candles, no air fresheners, no smoking, keeping ceiling fans off when the bird is out, etc. If everyone isn't committed to doing those things, it just doesn't work. Are there any places around you that you can volunteer? A rescue? Or depending on how old you are, have you thought about bird sitting? I would love to have a teenager help me with my birds. Just some things to think about until you have your own place and can get your own bird. :)

ariana&mia

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ari
Thought I’d chime in as a college student with my own little zoo. I have dogs, parrots, and a cat. As a 20 yr old this isn't easy at all, I have to balance school, work, my relationship, and my animals. I was 13 when I got my cockatiel, she just turned 7 on May 21st and I still have to look forward to many more years with her and my other pets. My birds require more attention than any of my other pets, they need hours outside their cages but they need to constantly be supervised. Their long lifespans means future housing has to be pet friendly and my pets will have to come before myself and everyone else in my life. Im moving into my boyfriends apartment in a year, he had to search for housing that would allow our pets because they are nonnegotiable. My family has always been supportive because this has been my passion and has lead me to studying veterinary medicine as well as working in a veterinary clinic. You mentioned your pets are split between two houses, how would traveling be accommodated to a parrots needs? They are animals who thrive off of consistency and routine. Is your family willing to ditch candles, teflon pans, etc. in order to find bird safe alternatives. The initial cost of the parrot is a minute fraction of what will need to be spent in order to care for it properly. Mia (my cockatiel) was roughly 100$, her cage was 200$ and her vet bills I fear to even calculate (avian vets are far more pricey than the average vet). Your parents may not be willing to pay for all these expenses, mine sure weren't. And we can't forget the monthly toys, pellets, and fresh food expenses.
In college are you able and willing to stay in your house or find a pet friendly apartment? Most dorms won't allow animals and most college students are unable to provide the necessary time needed to care for another being.
This is all sounding very negative and I don't mean to outright discourage you but this isn't a decision to be taken lightly as a cockatiel can live well into your adulthood. We all love our pets here and they truly do become your family. If your family is willing to support you and help out with everything then take your time and do more research before making a decision now that can change the next 30 years of your life. Its not impossible, Ive done it along with many other members but it is most certainly not easy. I wish you the best of luck with your decision and everyone here is always willing to help throughout this process :heart:

Miss Annamarie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
Same as @ariana&mia
as an 18 year old also with a small zoo; Gecko, hedgehog, rabbit, fish, dog, 5/6 birds (and in the past have had 4 guinea pigs, and 3 hamsters). I don't recommend it. I have to keep up with saving for college and also saving up for things such as a toy fund, vet bills etc. They have destroyed things all over the house, are you prepared to have to pay your future landlord for those possible bills? How do you know you'll find a bird-friendly apartment soon enough? There are so many details. I know people on the internet may not discourage you, or anyone but just take experiences from us into account. So since everyone is providing you reasons to discourage you, in case that doesn't stop you and you're super set on it:

Talk with your family about it for the tiel to be a FAMILY pet. I don't know your age but do you have a job to support vet bills and things? Are your parents the kind of people who will budget for expensive avian vet bills etc and understand the price of food and everything per month?

I know you want a bird really bad, and I get it, they're awesome. But they are companions, not pets, and you may get that but no one really understands what that entails until they experience it. If anything, wait until after college, or at the very least during college when you know you have a stable environment in an apartment, a job, and a consistent class schedule.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I once spent $ 2500.00 dollars at an ER vet for an egg bound cocktail, another $ 600.00 for another teil with a prolapse, and another $900.00 on a pidge with intestinal mucosa.. twice! Another $300.00 on a dove with a broken leg,, another and countless antibiotics, metacam, calcium injections, the list goes on, not being mean or disrespectful, do you, your parents, have that kind of money, or willing to spend that kind of money on a bird? They're expensive, delicate, require the best food and housing you can afford, messy, noisy at times, temperamental, hormonal .. it's a lifelong commitment,,theres no vacations outside the house if you cant find someone you trust to care for them, theres no out all night having fun, theres no weekend get aways....think about it,,research, research,,maybe volunteer at a bird rescue first, to see what you may be getting into,,for the next 20 to 80 years, depending upon the bird whom chooses you.. :hug8:

Birdddssss

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aiden Vargo
I agree having a parrot especially a cockatiel is EXPENSIVE but I am happy though to pay for my pets but if you cannot afford the vet checks and the food and toys and all the other stuff you need. And if its hard to convience your parents to get a bird it would be hard to get the vet check ups the toys and the cage and stuff like that. I have had to rescue birds that couldn't be cared for by a young college kid. Luckily my parents love animals so it is easy to make sure our animals are well cared for.