• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Converting to pellets

CateyBear

Hit the Road
Hello, I recently recieved my diseased grandmother's female pied cockatiel. Bernie, said cockatiel hasn't exactly had the best living condition. Always sitting in her cage with a blanket over it. Sadly she had been on a diet of parakeet seed, which I am currently trying to change. I've tried mixing some seed with pellet to slowly ween her off, but she picks the seed out. I tried giving her only pellets, but I don't ever see her touch them. I've tried adding warm water to pellets mixed with seeds, but she hasn't gone towards the bowl. Today I even tried pretending to eat it, she had come to the front of the cage, watching me eat and seemed too want some so I gave her some. She pecked it and climbed back up to her perch. I know she is hungry, because I had used a bit of seed to help train her that my hand was safe so she wouuldn'y be afraid to be picked up. She had eaten as much seed as she could. I am a little worried about her because she seems to not be eating much at all. What should I do?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Bump.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
So for one, sometimes it's the pellet. I've had some of the pickiest birds ever it seems like but they all have gone for Zupreem Fruit. From there, they can sometimes be switched to a different pellet but Fruit is a good "gateway" pellet

There are a lot of options and many will send you free samples

This may also help

CateyBear

Hit the Road
So for one, sometimes it's the pellet. I've had some of the pickiest birds ever it seems like but they all have gone for Zupreem Fruit. From there, they can sometimes be switched to a different pellet but Fruit is a good "gateway" pellet

There are a lot of options and many will send you free samples

This may also help

Thank you