• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Converted my bird to a pelleted diet!

kifird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jeremy
I don't know whether this is just me, but Nua seems to like everything we offer to her, especially if it is on a flat surface.
Today we visited the pet hospital to pay the rest of the vet bill off, and I noticed there was a Harrison's fine grind for Adults. I picked it up since the doctor told me I should convert Nua to a pellet diet. I thought this was going to be a hard and grueling process. I was proven wrong in the first few minutes. Dropped a couple pellets onto the couch and she started eating away.
The problem is though that I still have around 4 pounds of seed left over. What should I do with those?
What are your folks experiences on converting your budgie or bird to a pellet diet? Was it a hard and grueling one, or was it easier than mine?

To clarify: My budgie is not on a 100% Pelleted diet. She forages for her seed and gets veggies and fruits daily.

Last edited:

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
You should never convert them like that.
It should take at least 2-4 weeks, so you will use more seed.
And I'm against to give them 100% pellets. Both pellets, seed, veggies, fruit, egg, outside greens, (like herbs) and berries are a better diet.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Don’t budgies benefit from some seed?

Bonkers

Hit the Road
Real Name
Bonk's Adventure
Don’t budgies benefit from some seed?
I always thought they did.

I am mixing seed in with pellets, they might have ate some but I have some seed-a-holics. Is it true that they can starve themselves if they don't recognize the little pellets as food?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I always thought they did.

I am mixing seed in with pellets, they might have ate some but I have some seed-a-holics. Is it true that they can starve themselves if they don't recognize the little pellets as food?
You know I never thought that was true, but someone here said it is.

Have you tried taking away the seeds for awhile (only like an hour) and giving them pellets?

kifird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jeremy

Have you tried taking away the seeds for awhile (only like an hour) and giving them pellets?
You should never convert them like that.
It should take at least 2-4 weeks, so you will use more seed.
And I'm against to give them 100% pellets. Both pellets, seed, veggies, fruit, egg, outside greens, (like herbs) and berries are a better diet.
No it has been a day. I just had this article drafted and I only got the chance to hop onto my computer now. She has been on this diet for a complete 24 hours, and has eaten the pellet and the 25 percent of the seed we left in there. I am aware that some budgies need some seed in their diet, but she gets those from tricks and her foraging box which is filled with millet and some of her seed mix. As for the concern without herbs, fruit and veggies, she gets those all the time. Whether it be my mothers plants or some of our salad mix that I eat for myself as well.

TO CLARIFY: This is not a %100 percent pellet diet. When I referred to diet, I referred to the stuff she gets in her food bowl 24/h a day.

Bonkers

Hit the Road
Real Name
Bonk's Adventure

There's a lot going on, bird-wise, in the Bonkers house. I know you told me to make a separate thread, (which should be easier now since battle lines have been drawn and those I feel are antagonists claim to not be able to see, these are good things) anyways I now have 11 parakeets, 4 of which adjusting to a new home, the others getting used to a cage with a lot of toys and playthings, different from free-flying and hanging out on their Penn-Plax bird playground all day. My little Blue Baby didn't seem to take to the pellets or the Nutri-Berries during his forwging, but I think I saw eating going on when they did it as a group.

I hope they "like" the seed, I too have approximately 4lbs of seed (Volkman, Hartz, some generic) and want to feed it to them.

Should I take the time to "sprout" the seed? And is that really as easy as putting it ina water overnight? I can make my own threads, if you like... About pellets.. I even took pics of it all ... Aside from the one cage a little crowded, I think we are good...

kifird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jeremy
Should I take the time to "sprout" the seed? And is that really as easy as putting it ina water overnight? I can make my own threads, if you like... About pellets.. I even took pics of it all ... Aside from the one cage a little crowded, I think we are good...
Sprouting the seed is a great idea! I was reading up in Feather foodcourt about the benefits and how to sprout seeds. All it takes is a mason jar, a sifter, and a damp towel. For future reference please make a separate thread. :)

Bonkers

Hit the Road
Real Name
Bonk's Adventure
Sprouting the seed is a great idea! I was reading up in Feather foodcourt about the benefits and how to sprout seeds. All it takes is a mason jar, a sifter, and a damp towel. For future reference please make a separate thread. :)
I thought we could use a cereal bowl and the refrigerator... :)

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I am aware that some budgies need some seed in their diet, but she gets those from tricks and her foraging box which is filled with millet and some of her seed mix. As for the concern without herbs, fruit and veggies, she gets those all the time. Whether it be my mothers plants or some of our salad mix that I eat for myself as well.
Then she has a great diet. :) But weigh her every day now in the beginning so she doesn't lose weigh.

kifird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jeremy
Then she has a great diet. :) But weigh her every day now in the beginning so she doesn't lose weigh.
Yeah, I was planning on getting a scale. Where do you usually get them and how much do they usually cost?

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I have a cheap kitchen wall scale. Works just great.
I bought mine in my bigger food store.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
And this is how I weigh them:

Bonkers

Hit the Road
Real Name
Bonk's Adventure
^ I have a little digital scale too.

One of my birdies weighs 1.06ounces. I don't do that regularly, but.. When the big cage gets here.. Maybe I can dedicate a bowl to having some seeds in water!

Budgiebonkers

aka Pandapaws23
Avenue Veteran
^ I have a little digital scale too.

One of my birdies weighs 1.06ounces. I don't do that regularly, but.. When the big cage gets here.. Maybe I can dedicate a bowl to having some seeds in water!
Sprouting seed is easy you put the seeds in water for 24 hours then you drain the seeds and rinse twice a day until you feel like giving them it depending how much growth you want the seeds to get but leaving them in just water will mold them theres a sprouting thing for seeds I have 3 of them its called easysprout if your seeds dont sprout means the seeds are old