• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Conures like watching outside birds

Oscarbird

Sprinting down the street
Oscar likes to look out the window sometimes. I don't think he gets jealous, I think that it's more entertaining for him than upsetting. He does get a bit frightened if he sees a big bird like a raven flying but other than that I think he really enjoys it.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I have a feeder right outside the window where my Jardine's is at. He loves it and chatters at them :)

My green cheek was terrifyed of Blue Jays though

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Mojo loves watching birds outside KiKi shows no interest.

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
My experience was strictly, NO. My Sun is deathly afraid of outside birds. We used to sit by the window, open with a screen, and there was a power pole 3 or 4 feet from the window so watching birds come and go was interesting to me but every time a bird landed, Farlie screamed and flew wildly across the room. We tried it 3 or 4 times but he never did want to do it anymore.
I now live on the 8th floor and open the blinds every day but when a bird flys by he goes nuts.
Farlie and the outside world don't get along very well. :)

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
I don't see how it would do any harm, I would just make sure your area doesn't have too many bird diseases, if you let all the birds gather at one place to eat it could do more harm than good, again it just depends on where you live

Momof3litt

Sprinting down the street
What would he get jealous about?

My birds are semi-interested in the birds outside (and we have 3 feeders visible from the window they like). My GCC will alarm call when the blue jays come around and for good reason, they are about twice his size!

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Marvin yells at the outdoor birds (observable fact), but I wouldn't waste time ascribing it to jealousy (which would just be speculation).

None of my birds like it when the outdoor birds do a close fly-by, but there's no scared over reaction from my crew -- just a little duck and cover.

That said, my GCC has gotten overly excited when watching similarly sized birds and did try to fly out the window (bouncing off the screen), so it's worth observing your bird's individual reaction and adjust accordingly.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Each bird is so very different so this is really something that I feel you will have to work out by watching how your bird reacts to the visits from the outside birds. I have three birds who all respond different to wild birds.

Burt (macaw, indoor bird) likes to think he is scary to most of the outside birds as they make him a little on edge lol. He really seems to enjoy watching the littlies and thinking/behaving like he is scaring them off (when they naturally move on) with his display of big wings, abrupt lunging and calling out in a scary way "Rah", but it is only the sparrows and fairy wren sizes of bird that he seems to believe he is scary to- the others like the black tail kites, goshawks, wattle birds, starlings, bin chickens etc he is absolutely terrified of and hides behind me or the wall to watch them or he non stop alarm calls about them.

Birdie (SC2, outdoor bird) only gets upset (panicked, defensive and bitey) if the wild birds get too close to him (too close for him is like 10-15cm away) as his aviary door is usually open enough for the little birds to get in when I am home (he does not fly at all and barely moves plus I can see him from inside the house)- he is not bothered by the sizes of the wild birds, only by how close to him they get.

Squeak (budgie, indoor bird) loves the wild birds visiting him and has only been frightened a few times when a hawk hit the window trying to get him- he sings out and plays up to the little birds who visit him.