• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Conures Fighting

Linny313

Moving in
Real Name
Lindsey Pelham
Good Afternoon all, I have two Green Cheek Conures. Aged 6 months old. I got my first one at three weeks old and hand reared him myself. He is super bonded to everyone in the home. Super gentle bird by nature.
I got my second one fully hand reared by someone else a few months later as a friend for my first one when no one is home. This isn’t an often occurrence however.
Both birds are bonded to us. They have separate cages, the cages are huge and full of enrichment. They are fed on a pellet diet with a few seeds, fruit and veg and the occasional treat.
When we got the second bird we kept him in a separate room where they could hear each other. Then moved the cages to the same room.
I was aware that the birds may never get on and I was ready to accept that, but…
They absolutely hate each other, they have shown no sign of bonding whatsoever.
If one manages to get to the other, blood will be drawn. The only thing they do do is mimic each other sometimes if they are in separate rooms. I should mention neither bird is actually sexed.
Now I know they may never even tolerate each other but I wondered if anyone had experienced anything similar or anyone had any advice or even success’s in this situation.

Hahns0hmy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Adam
I have a senegal and a mini macaw. if i let them out same time one will rip the other beaks off. they hate each other and the cages are in the same room. its very possible two of the same species hate each other and two sep species. i would keep the cages close to each other. they may hate each other but they will still keep each other company being near. it takes a lot of time it doesnt mean they wont ever get along. I had a friend with two sep species of bird a conure and tiel. they hated each other but months later they actually groom each other. just by leaving the cages near each other. always supervise if you are going to attempt them together same time to test.

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Keep there cages in sight of each other but offer different out of cage time.
Just be aware of one landing on the others cage as they will attack each other through the cage bars given half the chance.
I introduced mine to each other slowly over a period of time.
When letting them out always let your original bird out first and when feeding always feed your original bird first.

Good luck

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Let me tag @webchirp for you. She has a large flock of greenies with a lot of complex flock dynamics.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
It can take years but I will say my boys do not and will likely never get along. The girls seem to be able to coexist much better. They don’t aggressively go out of their way to start trouble like my boys. Each have their own section of room and dividers.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I have hope for your two!

And the fist step is believing in the positive outcome. Especially in creatures like parrots who can read us so well. Any sign of anxiety and stress is picked up on and reflected back. Its good to take stock and center yourself before interacting with any critters. Try to look at setbacks with humor.

I've found green cheeks can be very reactive/ territorial to new additions. Then hold a grudge. In the beginning going slow and taking time and building positive associations will really pay off and go much better. Often things are just rushed to quickly with new introductions.

For me ideal introduction. The birds are in separate rooms for quarantine, I do 3 weeks. ( they hear each other, know a new bird is around. New one has vet check at 3 weeks. Then I move new birds cage into same room but opposite sides within sight line. 2 weeks. During that time , I alternate walking one over to the other one who is caged. I talk to both and give treats to both. Short and sweet, keeping the free bird in me and not allowing it to climb on the caged birds cage. Swap who is with me eho is caged. Several times a day. I will also push a chair near new ones cage and spend time there with my original bird ( or for me my multiple birds ) out and on me and hang out. Feeding all treats here and there. Never allow the ones out to climb on the caged ones cage. And especially for green cheeks , spend extra time with original. Really reassure them they still special..I take new one into separate room out of sight of my other to love on and bond or train.

For me by the end of the 2 weeks of this the flock is pretty accepting of a new one being around. Now I move the new ones cage to about 4 feet from the others. And continue as above for another week. Then I start out of cage introductions .

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
So now 6 weeks after new guys arrival.
For out of cage introductions. I make sure both are in a good calm mood. I get original bird out, love on them and put them in a neutral location away from cages, with lots of treats spread out. Then I go get the new one, love on them and bring them to the neutral location, and spend a few minutes talking to original. I make sure the treats are so yummy the original could care less I brought the new guy over. Then I set the new one down, on the far side away from original with their yummy treats in front of them. I'm in the middle. I have an envelope handy to place between them if anyone try to charge. If either gets fussed , I put fussed one up. And repeat again later. If goes well I let it play out. Its fluid. For me I keep adding my flock to the flock feed . I use my breakfast bar, or kitchen table with towels or something so they don't slip, or a bed with a cover I don't mind getting poops in. I keep doing flock feeds , and all the other stuff I mentioned as well. For me it takes about another week to full flock integration . In the meantime I move the new ones cage to its permanent position. For me that's all mashed up together but not so close than can grab each other through cage bars.

Flock relationship develop after that at their own choice. While they know to be respectful and give space or be put up. Some close bonds( preen and snuggle each other) have taken years , some firm quickly.

I've done a lot of introductions, at one point I had 9. This I've shared has worked lovely for me. Results a true flock out together, feed together. On me getting love together. All caged individual.

But there are always lots of ways to do dtuff.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Much the same can also be done now.

Set aside Xtra one on one with original. Do your bonding out of sight with new one.

Do a lot of taking one over to the others Cage and feeding treats to both and praise both .

Alternate sitting with one out with you next to the other while caged. Trests and praise random. Just chill and read it watch TV. Building lots of positive associations.

Start flock feeds, put spread out with you in the middle . Flocks eat together, mixed flocks in the wild learn to eat together.

Provide lots of perches and hang out spots outside of cage. Put lots of perches on the outside of both cages sides and top. If you can a few perches over the cages even better. Hang perches by windows. Or use play stands. Having many options and places to retreat very helpful.

Anytime one acts aggressive put them up in cage for a few minutes. Immediate second aggressive act gets put up longer. They do learn. Most prefer being out if cage. And they learn to be tolerated to stay out. This how many rescues do as well. For continuing active aggressive behavior. Start teaching targeted station. They each have their own places, and are trained and reinforce to only stay at their designated spots.

Reward and praise when they are good at being out together.

If you have a partner. Each have a bird on opposite ends if the couch. Praise and hang out then swap birds.

Create routine and ritual. Talk and explaining stuff use same phrases

Linny313

Moving in
Real Name
Lindsey Pelham
Thank you for all the advice. I cannot have them out together anywhere. They go straight in for the kill. They even try to attack each other when they are in the cages.