• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

conures feeding each other

niamhk

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Niamh Kempton
i finally have taken my other green cheek out of quarantine! i introduced them yesterday and today he’s fallen in love with my other green cheek Emi! they are trying to feed each other already and i’m not sure what i should be doing about that. they like to groom each other a lot too. they seem to getting on much better than i had thought! i’m not sure what’s best when it comes to them feeding each other. i don’t plan on breeding them so i don’t want any babies.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
If they are male and female and you do not want them to have babies the only thing you can do is separate them. Two cages side by side would work if you observe out of cage time carefully.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
today he’s fallen in love with my other green cheek Emi! they are trying to feed each other already
Awwww :swoon:
Great to hear they are getting on well!

i’m not sure what’s best when it comes to them feeding each other. i don’t plan on breeding them so i don’t want any babies.
If they are happy then leave them be :)
If they lay any eggs in the future, switch them out for some dummy eggs ( @Mockinbirdiva are dummy eggs needed for conures, or can the originals just be removed? I´m not sure which is best)

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
If they are happy then leave them be :)
If they lay any eggs in the future, switch them out for some dummy eggs ( @Mockinbirdiva are dummy eggs needed for conures, or can the originals just be removed? I´m not sure which is best)
I've never had an issue with chronic egg laying with my conures. I think there is one member here who has multiple cheeks that may have though. Their name escapes my memory. I would definitely recommend dummy eggs to replace the eggs as they are laid or boil the eggs before they're incubated. Do not offer a nest box, sleeping hut, or anything the resembles a cozy spot to lay. How old are they?

DNA sex your birds. If you have a male and female keep them separate and allow out of cage time supervised with plenty of activities to do in play time and foraging.... discourage mating ( I will interrupt.... they might not be happy with me... but then, I don't have any eggies to worry over or any problems that can come with eggs and hen health).

Even two hens kept together can lead to egg laying with one or both at the same time. The urge to reproduce is pretty strong!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
just want to check if you think his crop looks alright? is it because he’s eating more it’s been like this 2 days now
It could just be the stance he has. He looks alert and a bit frightened. Millet is something I've never offered though many do. What else are you feeding?

Reactions: Ali

niamhk

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Niamh Kempton
It could just be the stance he has. He looks alert and a bit frightened. Millet is something I've never offered though many do. What else are you feeding?
Yeah he’s not super comfortable with me and he came to sit on the bed since Emi was with me but he wasn’t too sure but he’s getting better with that now! he has harrison’s pellets as a main diet as well as veggies

Reactions: Ali

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Yeah he’s not super comfortable with me and he came to sit on the bed since Emi was with me but he wasn’t too sure but he’s getting better with that now! he has harrison’s pellets as a main diet as well as veggies
Harrison's is good. What veggies are you feeding?