• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Conure with splayed legs

I-am-Groot

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Nikki Cason
Hello everyone! I’ve acquired a 4 almost 5 week old green check conure baby about a week ago. I’m a vet assistant and one of the doctors I work with is helping me out with him but I figured I’d post on here for some tips and tricks. I don’t have pics of his legs before we started taping them, those are on the docs phone but I’ll post some of his now. Soooo our biggest issue is his lil feet are won’t twist the right way. I’ve been doing PT with him, having him grab my fingers, having him sit with his legs in the right position, holding the legs in between my fingers so he can balance right… his housing probably isn’t ideal so I been recommendations for that too, I’ve got him in a rolled up blanket so it’s like a nest but he’s not laying down, I’ve got him slanted upright so he’s not laying down all night. It’s only been a week and he’s already shown improvement but I just want to explore all my options! We tried taping is 2 big toes together on each foot but that didn’t last long at all, he got those off quick. I should also mention I’ve been hand feeding him 4x a day with exact. Also, I’m referring to him as a boy because I want him to be a boy haha

Attachments

Olliebirb

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
Aww my budgie Oliver had splayed legs when he was a little baby! The breeder I got him from put a little rubber band around his legs and did other things to help fix the problem. Hopefully your little birdie does well!

I-am-Groot

Real Name
Nikki Cason
Thank you! I’m hoping he does well too. I’m obsessed with him already!

I-am-Groot

Real Name
Nikki Cason
Hello everyone! I’ve acquired a 4 almost 5 week old green check conure baby about a week ago. I’m a vet assistant and one of the doctors I work with is helping me out with him but I figured I’d post on here for some tips and tricks. I don’t have pics of his legs before we started taping them, those are on the docs phone but I’ll post some of his now. Soooo our biggest issue is his lil feet are won’t twist the right way. I’ve been doing PT with him, having him grab my fingers, having him sit with his legs in the right position, holding the legs in between my fingers so he can balance right… his housing probably isn’t ideal so I been recommendations for that too, I’ve got him in a rolled up blanket so it’s like a nest but he’s not laying down, I’ve got him slanted upright so he’s not laying down all night. It’s only been a week and he’s already shown improvement but I just want to explore all my options! We tried taping is 2 big toes together on each foot but that didn’t last long at all, he got those off quick. I should also mention I’ve been hand feeding him 4x a day with exact. Also, I’m referring to him as a boy because I want him to be a boy haha

Attachments