• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Conure with peeling skin on leg?

sgyoung

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sarah Young
Hi, everyone. Today I just noticed my sun conure has dry, peeling skin on one leg. I noticed him chewing his skin and discovered it was very dry and even had a sore probably from where the skin peeled? This is also the same leg that used to have a band on it which was removed last month. I’m not sure if that makes a difference. I have him on Harrison’s high potency pellets and he gets frequent baths, so I’m wondering if it could just be the dry weather. Is there anything I could put on the leg to help him heal and to prevent infection? I did put some organic virgin coconut oil on it.

Attachments

sgyoung

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sarah Young
Vitamin E oil, Manuka honey, Silversulfadizine cream,,,looks like a teeny boo boo, any of these listed would help..
thank you! Yes, I am so unsure because at first I thought it was dry skin, but last night I was thinking perhaps it was a scab that he was picking at. I don’t really ever see that part of his leg because it is the underside and usually he has his leg tucked into his fluff. So perhaps it is a little scrape he got awhile ago and this is the first time I am noticing it. It isn’t an open wound and overall doesn’t look too serious, so I am just going to keep an eye on it. I may just call his vet today as well just to see what he says.