• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Conure vs. Parrotlet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

caseymayyne

Moving in
Real Name
Casey
I'm looking for a clingy, clownish bird.
I have a love bird and a cockatiel, so I do have experience with birds. People have told me to let the bird pick me, but I'm not sure how to go about that.
Pros and Cons of each one? Which is your favorite and why?
Any information about the species, or recommendation to look into another species would be great.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I cannot give you info on a Conure since Ive never owned one. I do have a parrotlet that I have had for over 12 yrs. You need to ask yourself if you want a hands on bird. Parrotlets are small and can easily fall prone to accidents with larger birds or households in general. If you are going to have one flighted- you just need to be very careful and have them have a room to their own if they are going to be out and about.

They are great and are incapable of shrieking. I love Parrotlets due to their mini Amazon type behavior and their ease of care. They are adorable, fiesty, active and in general so darn cute.

Karighan

Hit the Road
Real Name
Liz
Conures are definitely hands-on birds. They're the definition of Velcro-birds: happy, clownish, loving, and daredevils that will do anything for your attention. They can be nippy, occasionally, but that's easily curbed.

I can't say enough good things about GCCs.

Cephus

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Brian
I have to agree, you described a conure. P'lets are nice too, but from what you said you wanted, there's only one choice.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I say Conure all the way :),they are such goofy clowns that love to be with you and on you all the time.

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Conures definitely can be clowns, and very clingy! Some are also very loud though, so take that into consideration as well! Another small breed to consider would be the Quaker Parrot, depending on where you live (they are illegal in some states). As a breed (and Jingo can vouch for them!) they are definitely clowns, can learn a very large vocabulary, and can also be velcro birds. Jingo wants to be where I am at all times! They too, can get a little loud but imo are quieter than conures. P'lets can be pretty feisty from what I understand!

Nikki

Hit the Road
Real Name
Nikki
My parrotlet snuggles under my chin and gives me kisses and she is such a little clown... She would be with me all day if she could. Perfect apartment bird as well, not very loud at all. A big bird in a tiny wee little body. :heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.