• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

conure throws up food and water!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sanja8888

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Our friery shoulder conure Zazzy was trying to regurgitate food i though something got stuck so she got it out then drank some water, but ended up throiwing that up too...she drank some moe water and threw it up again. this happened 10 minutes ago, while i was calling emergency vets around us my boyfriend calmed her down and zazzy is now sleeping. i know we should take her to the vet but since she is sleeping now should we wait till tomorrow? and has anything like this happened to anyone? i am very scared that she threw up the water she drank!

fidsmom

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
If you can find an avian vet, open tonite, I would take her to vet tonite. Good luck, hope she will be ok.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
How is Zazzy this AM?:hug8:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
take her asap if you can and please keep us updated!!!!!

sanja8888

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
We went to the emergency vet at 4 am, she got checked out and the doc said she was fine no signs of anything serious. He gave her a steroid shot and said not to feed her or let her drink water for 5 to 6 hours. She thre up once more at night and again a couple of minutes ago. her head is covered with white goo *her puke*. Shes very tierd and weak looking now, probably because she hadent slept at all. she was hungry and kept looking for food but we cant feed her till 9 am, its not 8 so we are waiting. the vet said to find a vet and go see them if the puking contiinues so we found one that opens at 9 and we will take her.

I'll keep you updated!
Thanks for caring everybody!

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Poor sweetie. I definitely suggest going to an avian vet ASAP. I hope she feels better soon. :hug8:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Okay this is not good. Did you see an avian vet? It sounds like she has some kind of blockage. Is she pooing? What do they look like? Did they do an xray? I know Gary recommends dissolving slippery elm in some clear pedylite and trying to give her some of that. Also you can dilute 1/2 teaspoon corn syrup in warm water and try that to get her electrolytes up. If you have any hand feeding formula you can try to give her some of that. It's nutritious and easy to digest. I would call another vet ASAP.

Ginger

sanja8888

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Thanks for the suggestions everybody! We are taking zazzy to a vet in a couple of minutes. Shes been throwing up some more, and we finally got to see her poop, it is a white slimey color! I never saw this before but I dont think its good. We are hoping its just the steroids injection she got at the emergency.

Anothing worrying aspect, i think she is slightly cool, her body is not as warm as usual so we keep trying to warm her up. She also fluffs up when shes trying to sleep so i think this is because she is cold. She tried eating again and shes being picky not wanting to eat her pallets, she took a sip of water and threw it up. The hand feeding formula is a great idea Ginger, we are going to buy some on the way back!

At the emergency vet, they didnt take an xray but said if she kept throwing up that we might need one. I also took a sample of her poop just in case they need it.

I will keep you posted!

Off to the vet now! Fingers crossed!

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Please keep her warm as you can. She is using her strength to try and warm her body. Good luck at the vets. :hug8:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
If possible please have them give her a little sedative for the xray. It makes it so much easier on their little bodies. I agree keep her as warm as possible.

Ginger

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Could she be egg bound?

Ginger

WingedVictory

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Please post what your vet advises.

Good advice from Ginger. If the avian vet feels there might be a blockage in the digestive tract and X-ray is ideal, it will also show any signs of metal or other object swallowed.

If the bird were one of mine I would examine the poop under the microscope with a wet mount and gram stain. Next I would mix powdered slippery elm, 1 part SE to 4 parts water, feed to my bird warm like mush, SE is a food and does not taste bad and coat the digestive tract. Slippery elm will also coat small objects like a piece of work or toy and help it pass. We also mix children's plain pedialyte 50/50 with water and place it in their water bowl or place drop by drop in the lower beak. Keep in mind any bird that regurgitates will need extra hydration and electrolytes. Wet mount and gram stain will determine if there is a bacteria or fungal infection. ACV will clear up minor infections both bacterial and fungal. We keep a keen eye on our birds birds poop if we feel they might be sick.

You should smell your birds breath and determine if sour. Also look in the birds beak for any sign of white or cream colored plaque in the mouth and throat. Sour smell could be a crop infection, plaque would be a fungal infection. Like humans birds get sick and have to work through what is bothering them with little human intervention. If your bird continues along the same path of regurgitation an avian vet is required. When in doubt take your bird to a qualified avian vet.

Gary

Last edited:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
How is Zazzy doing now?

Euphoria

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Kat
i just got a hold of this thread. poor poor zazzy... im praying for her please keep us posted as soon as u can... poor heart......:(

sanja8888

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Hi everybody! thanks so much for your support!

We went to the vet who thinks Zazzy either has a problem with her liver, kiddneys, or pancreas. Because she wasnt eating he gave us 3 different antibiotics, one for 1h before she eats, one after she eats, and one any time 2 times a day. Also, the doc said she was on her way to anemia, she had "half anemia" from not eating, and that her crop was completely empty. He didnt want to take the tests yet because its a sunday they can send them untill tomorrow, and it would take a couple of days for the results and we might not have the time which is why he gave us the meds. He also gave us a vitamin to put in her water, and told us to feed her fruits and as ginger said baby formula. However he told us he hopes she gets better but that there wasnt too much we could do if she doesnt eat.

When we got back home, she drank lots of water and ate some apples and peaches. Later she ate some bluberries, and bananas and now she is eating all of them without throwing up! She even started pooping normally! she isnt drinking water but i think thats because the fruits all have plenty of it.

The hardest part is getting her to take her meds, and eat the formula. i started mixing the formula with her fruits and dipping fruits into the formula and shes sort of been eating it. she is also so tierd she has slept on and off the whole day. Tomorrow we will get more aggressive with the formula.

I forgot to mention that Zazzy is unfortunately too underweight, she weight half of what she should apperently so we have to work on her gaining weight! I feel horrible that we didnt know, we actually thought she was fat! i hope that now that she is actually eating, she will sleep well tonight with no throwing up and that she will get through this! once that works out we plan on working on her diet aggressively!

I was wondering if anyone knew how to keep her warm at night? she has a big cage, and right now there is no heating yet in condos, and no way to really warm up the room! we dont have a heating pad either, so any ideas?

You guys are so supportive and great!

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Glad she is doing better! Can you put a light directed at her and a towel covering 2/3s of the cage?

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I hope she continues to feel better by the minute! :hug8:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Did you see an avian vet? Did they do any bloodwork? Do you know what tests they're running? Did they do an xray? I don't like it that she's so underweight, did they tell you how much she weighs?

Ginger

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Status
Not open for further replies.