• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Conure sneezing

Karenza

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Karen
Hello everyone. I just have a question, my green cheek conure Talos has been sneezing now for about 3 weeks. I took him to the vet a week ago, and the vet said that his lungs and everything sounded clear and that he looked to be an overall good health. The vet just told me to watch him for any changes in Behavior. So my question is what could be making him sneeze? I've tried moving his cage, doing a good thorough dusting of my house, and he is still sneezing. Any ideas?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Low humidity, allergies, irritants like perfumes, etc

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
There are many causes of sneezing and nasal discharge in birds. A few of the most common include: Irritation from dust or dander; Bacterial infections; Fungal infections; Nutritional deficiencies; Foreign bodies in the nose. If the sneezing continues I would want to vet to look into the birds nose and listen to lung sounds.

Karenza

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Karen
Low humidity, allergies, irritants like perfumes, etc
The humidity is reading 57%. I clean with vinegar and water. My son wears cologne but he doesn't handle Talos because he bites him. I have a cat, could he be allergic to her? I have had Talos for about 2 months. He has sneezing for about 3 wks. He is molting and I noticed tiny feathers falling out. Maybe it's irritating his nose?

Karenza

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Karen
There are many causes of sneezing and nasal discharge in birds. A few of the most common include: Irritation from dust or dander; Bacterial infections; Fungal infections; Nutritional deficiencies; Foreign bodies in the nose. If the sneezing continues I would want to vet to look into the birds nose and listen to lung sounds.
I took him to the vet about a week ago for this. He checked those things

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
You could invest in a quality air filtration system and put in the room where you bird stays.

Karenza

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Karen
You could invest in a quality air filtration system and put in the room where you bird stays.
That's actually a great idea. He stays with us in the living room. It will probably be good for all of us

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Do you use essential oils or any aerosol sprays? Teflon cook ware? Is a kitty litter box in the same room?

Karenza

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Karen
Do you use essential oils or any aerosol sprays? Teflon cook ware? Is a kitty litter box in the same room?
No essential oil or aerosol spray. I use hair spray but I don't spray it around him. Litter box is not in the same room. I have Teflon cookware but I am always careful not to overheat it and I turn on the hood fan. (Works very well) when I use it, even to just boil water. I am only using that because I got the set only a week before getting Talos.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
My son wears cologne but he doesn't handle Talos
I use hair spray but I don't spray it around him
Warning bells ring in my head! If your son goes anywhere near the cage then Talos is breathing his cologne. Yes the alcohol may be gone but there's still essential oils on your son's skin. You may not spray your hairspray around Talos but it'll be all over you and Talos can ingest it by preening an area that has touched you (feet, feathers). Sometimes it only takes the tiniest amount to get a reaction.
The above may sound alarmist, but we all have to appreciate just how sensitive our birds' systems are.

Last edited:

Karenza

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Karen
Warning bells ring in my head! If your son goes anywhere near the cage then Talos is breathing his cologne. Yes the alcohol may be gone but there's still essential oils on your son's skin. You may not spray your hairspray around Talos but it'll be all over you and Talos can ingest it by preening an area that has touched you (feet, feathers). Sometimes it only takes the tiniest amount to get a reaction.
The above may sound alarmist, but we all have to appreciate just how sensitive our birds' systems are.
I understand. So basically what I need to do is, do not handle him in the same clothes that I was wearing when I used my Hairspray? And the same would go for my son don't let him come around the bird wearing the same clothes he was wearing when he put the cologne on?

Karenza

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Karen
I understand. So basically what I need to do is, do not handle him in the same clothes that I was wearing when I used my Hairspray? And the same would go for my son don't let him come around the bird wearing the same clothes he was wearing when he put the cologne on?
Also cover my head when holding him?

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
It's definitely worth looking into, at least for a couple of weeks see if things improve.
A lot of us here have given up colognes, deodorants and hair products for good. I wear cologne fo work sometimes, but I wash it off and change my clothes before seeing my flock again.
I hope you find the problem this way, it'll be a lot easier to fix.

Karenza

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Karen
I hope I didn't cause any damage. It is not impossible for me to give up all hair supplies because I have curly hair, so it needs moisturizer. I can certainly kick hairspray though