• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Conure scratches

splatdead

Moving in
Real Name
Danny
Hey so I recently gotten a green cheek conure and I’ve been extremely worried,,, she’s been scratching a lot ever since I got her (3 days ago) and it’s non stop, it’s usually followed up with grooming but I’m scared maybe it’s something im feeding her? She has a vet appointment soon but I need some sort of idea so I can at least feel better..
I feed her pellets, bananas, broccoli, apples, and seeds. She seems to do normal bird things other than the scratching and when she does scratch white things come off of her but I don’t know if she’s molting or not cause she is only 4 months old. Any help would be amazing and seriously appreciated.

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Offer her a bath or a spray mist shower and see how she is after that. I would drop the amount of fruit and switch bananas and apples for some mango or berries and focus on offering more veggies.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Birds groom quite a bit, especially if they have nothing better to do. Do you notice if she's doing it more when she's not near food or toys?

Also how is the humidity in your home? Dry air can cause more scratching.

splatdead

Moving in
Real Name
Danny
Birds groom quite a bit, especially if they have nothing better to do. Do you notice if she's doing it more when she's not near food or toys?

Also how is the humidity in your home? Dry air can cause more scratching.

She does it usually when she’s laying on me about to fall asleep and since it is hot where I live we have been having the fan, AC, and windows open. She always wants to come out of the cage just to lay on me and cuddle then slowly fall asleep

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
She does it usually when she’s laying on me about to fall asleep and since it is hot where I live we have been having the fan, AC, and windows open. She always wants to come out of the cage just to lay on me and cuddle then slowly fall asleep
Grooming before going to sleep is also very common :)

splatdead

Moving in
Real Name
Danny
Offer her a bath or a spray mist shower and see how she is after that. I would drop the amount of fruit and switch bananas and apples for some mango or berries and focus on offering more veggies.

she did manage to take a bath the other day in her water dish and seems better for a little but then right after started to scratch again, I’ll try offering her some berries instead and a mango and see how it goes but she does eat broccoli and spinach from what I see so I’ll continue to do that as well. I did spray her this morning but she was scared of it and ran away from the spray bottle ;-; I’ll try to take her to my sink to see if she likes running water more but worse case I’ll see if I can get her use to the spray bottle to take mist baths or pray she swims in her water bowl again

splatdead

Moving in
Real Name
Danny
Grooming before going to sleep is also very common :)

Thank goodness it is but I’m just worried cause the amount of scratching she does,,, she doesn’t seem in pain or anything cause she does normal bird things but my past bird died from scratching at first then slowly got sick so maybe it’s me overthinking

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
she did manage to take a bath the other day in her water dish and seems better for a little but then right after started to scratch again, I’ll try offering her some berries instead and a mango and see how it goes but she does eat broccoli and spinach from what I see so I’ll continue to do that as well. I did spray her this morning but she was scared of it and ran away from the spray bottle ;-; I’ll try to take her to my sink to see if she likes running water more but worse case I’ll see if I can get her use to the spray bottle to take mist baths or pray she swims in her water bowl again
When you mist with a spray bottle make sure to aim it up above the bird so the droplets fall on the bird instead of the bird being sprayed if you get what I mean. Offer lots of different veggies, capsicum, cooked sweet potato, pumpkin, carrot etc. stay away from onion, mushroom, avocado but really make sure veggies are more frequently served than fruit- fruit should only be a treat.
You might find that your bird has some new feathers growing which is possibly causing the scratching and the causing the white things you see- I’m guessing the white bits are possibly the keratin casing that the new feather grows inside.

Do you have a wellness check booked with an avian vet yet? I think your mind will be eased once you’ve had that.

splatdead

Moving in
Real Name
Danny
I don’t see any feathers on the bottom of the cage though, I use to have parakeets so I know when I see molting but there’s nothing just itching…

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
If it's concerning you, and you haven't already done a wellness check, it would be a good thing to calm your nerves. It also gets you established with a vet so if she does get sick you know where to go.

splatdead

Moving in
Real Name
Danny
If it's concerning you, and you haven't already done a wellness check, it would be a good thing to calm your nerves. It also gets you established with a vet so if she does get sick you know where to go.

Yes yes I know she’s does have a vet appointment on the 18th I just need some reassurance from anyone or maybe an idea on what’s going on just

splatdead

Moving in
Real Name
Danny
When you mist with a spray bottle make sure to aim it up above the bird so the droplets fall on the bird instead of the bird being sprayed if you get what I mean. Offer lots of different veggies, capsicum, cooked sweet potato, pumpkin, carrot etc. stay away from onion, mushroom, avocado but really make sure veggies are more frequently served than fruit- fruit should only be a treat.
You might find that your bird has some new feathers growing which is possibly causing the scratching and the causing the white things you see- I’m guessing the white bits are possibly the keratin casing that the new feather grows inside.

Do you have a wellness check booked with an avian vet yet? I think your mind will be eased once you’ve had that.
Yes we have one at July 18 but my worries tend to overcome me so I needed some idea on what’s going on