• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Conure regurgitation/vomit?? Help!!!

imnotgrandpa

Meeting neighbors
My conure just regurgitated on me. He has never done anything like this before. Is this an emergency situation??? Please help!!!!

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
As gross as it sounds, we need a photo.

Regurgitating is generally not harmful, but sometimes people encourage mating behavior without realizing it.

Vomiting, however is involuntary, and gets slung in all directions. Vomiting is a bad situation.

imnotgrandpa

Meeting neighbors
As gross as it sounds, we need a photo.

Regurgitating is generally not harmful, but sometimes people encourage mating behavior without realizing it.

Vomiting, however is involuntary, and gets slung in all directions. Vomiting is a bad situation.
This probably isn’t helpful but I immediately wiped it off and washed it away. But it was wet, maybe faintly yellow/transparent and had some whole pieces of his normal pellets (Zupreem fruit blend). He has recently eaten a Nutri-Berry. I’m wondering if he hasn’t been chewing his food well? It looked like he was just adjusting his crop and then he leaned forward and plopped it out. He adjusted his crop two more times but nothing came out, and now he’s just flying around like normal.

Heres a piece of kernel that came out. DD032A7E-F11B-4523-9137-92BB52525486.jpeg

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
What you described sounds like regurgitation to me. Vomiting looks more uncontrolled with pieces of food being flung everywhere and head shaking.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Bobbing of head & neck up & down bringing up food are associated more with regurgitation.

Wild side to side uncontrolled head shaking would be vomiting.

Birds can regurgitate to mates, people they like or even objects they seem to think of as a mate.

When he does it don't make a big deal about it or he will think you like it & that its a good thing to do.

Don't touch him behind the neck area on the body etc but regular scritches are OK.

He was on you so I guess he likes you & was just showing you how much.

They do it males & females. Just try to ignore it & not encourage it.

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
This is pretty gross but here is a video of a Military Macaw regurgitating close up. If you start watching at around 2:20 you will get the idea on what it looks like.

*Gross Warning*

And a Conure in this one.