• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Conure Regurgitating

Karenza

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Karen
Hello all. Something really strange has started happening today, my green cheek conure Talos has been regurgitating every time I interact with him. I am starting to think it is because yesterday I gave him a cooked egg shell. That is the only change to his diet that has been made. Could that have something to do with it?

Last edited:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Sharp eggshell stuck in his throat? I don’t use egg shells in their food. Or was that auto correct that added “shell” to your post?

Karenza

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Karen
No it was shell. It was cooked and I researched it before I gave it. I gave it to him yesterday. And it was scrumbled up. He is eating and drinking normally. And he only does it when I am interacting with him. Otherwise he is playing normally chewing and shredding his toys.

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
How old is he? Sounds like he is regurgitating for you - ie. his way of saying he likes you. I wouldn't encourage it if possible.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
No it was shell. It was cooked and I researched it before I gave it. I gave it to him yesterday. And it was scrumbled up. He is eating and drinking normally. And he only does it when I am interacting with him. Otherwise he is playing normally chewing and shredding his toys.
Good! It’s not the shell then.

Karenza

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Karen
How old is he? Sounds like he is regurgitating for you - ie. his way of saying he likes you. I wouldn't encourage it if possible.
6 months is his age. He hasn't done it in the last 4 hours. Everytime he would do it, I walked away. This happened about 5 times total today. It started right after I trained him to "wave".

BirdView

Strolling the yard
Regurgitation and vomiting looks similar. He might be ill. I suggest you take him to him the vet.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Vomiting will have the bird shaking its head and flinging matter all over the place, regurgitation does not....... to me this sounds as the others have suggested- regurgitation for Talos' favorite person.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
@Karenza you can buy calcium powders for birds which are probably a bit safer as you know for certain they will not be eating any sharp bits of egg shell.

Karenza

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Karen
@Karenza you can buy calcium powders for birds which are probably a bit safer as you know for certain they will not be eating any sharp bits of egg shell.
That's a great idea, I haven't given him anymore eggshell since that one time. What brand of the calcium powder do you suggest?

Karenza

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Karen
Vomiting will have the bird shaking its head and flinging matter all over the place, regurgitation does not....... to me this sounds as the others have suggested- regurgitation for Talos' favorite person.
He doesn't fling his head at all. Just the up and down motion but since I have been turning my back to him when he does it, he has almost stopped. Good thing is that he has been wanting to spend more time with me instead of hanging out on his perch or the top of his cage, and playing by himself with his toys. Last night he crawled around on my lap for the first, and he is allowing me to pet his head without growling or trying to bite. He also sat and played with one of his toys while staying perched on my hand. He seems to be bonding with me little by little each day. Maybe the regurgitation is just part of it?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I’m sorry I can’t recommend any calcium powder. I’ve never used it. If I needed some I would ask my vet for a recommendation.