• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

conure questions

soup

Moving in
Real Name
Anna Mut
Im a fairly new bird owner, so i have a few questions,
My conure had flown into my neighbors window and after a couple days of asking around and posting this conure we couldn’t find the owner, so we decided to let him settle at our house.
1. when i was looking at my conure i noticed that it’s tail looked really choppy and i had seen him biting his tail, is this a sign of stress?
2. He really enjoys coming up on my head and shoulder, or even random peoples heads or shoulders, even though i haven’t trained him or anything, but he won’t let anyone put their hand near him or he bites, does this just mean he’s used to humans, but doesn’t trust us?
3. when he lands on my head, he bites my hair off and chews on it, is he just preening? or does my bird like to eat hair??

ParrotNuts

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Atharv
1. when i was looking at my conure i noticed that it’s tail looked really choppy and i had seen him biting his tail, is this a sign of stress?
He could be barbering his feathers, could we please get a picture?
2. He really enjoys coming up on my head and shoulder, or even random peoples heads or shoulders, even though i haven’t trained him or anything, but he won’t let anyone put their hand near him or he bites, does this just mean he’s used to humans, but doesn’t trust us?
He trusts you enough to come to you on his will. It is just that he was never trained to trust hands, so he is a bit wary of them.
3. when he lands on my head, he bites my hair off and chews on it, is he just preening? or does my bird like to eat hair??
@webchirp

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
First thing is to get him vet checked.

They do like to preen you but just an fyi, they can create bald spots. I have to watch Maks as he will snip off my hair if he is sitting on top of my head to long.

Check out my signature for Monica's training information.

ParrotNuts

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Atharv
That is not barbering. It looks like extra preening is going on, but I am not sure. Is he molting right now?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Was his tail like that when he was first found? It would most likely have been ruffed up in the wild while he was flying around and trying to perch.

soup

Moving in
Real Name
Anna Mut
Was his tail like that when he was first found? It would most likely have been ruffed up in the wild while he was flying around and trying to perch.
yeah that seems to be the case