• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Conure Questions

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Yeah, that's my baby! Something about her just spoke to me. She kept looking at me, like she was wondering if I was her new human.

I picked up pellets, nutriberries, avicakes, millet, a jingly ball and a birdie kabob while I was there. Before we bring her home I'll have to make a run to Whole Foods too.
Oh boy... now for that perfect name!

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Question: it seems a lot of people's conures like apples. What types of apples do you give them? Does it matter? Are there certain kinds I should avoid?

Also: grapes. Some people say they're bad, others say they are fine. What's the verdict on that? And can they have strawberries?

I have a little list of things to get: apple, blueberries, almonds, kale, broccoli, baby carrots, bell pepper, peas, and quinoa. Anything I'm missing/should add? Maybe cauliflower?

I plan on cutting it all up and freezing it, that seemed to work pretty well with Chirp's food. Except for maybe the apple, I don't know how well that freezes?

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
For anyone who got their bird as a baby, is there any baby-related stuff I need to do? Like any special cage setups or anything?
When I brought Kiwi home, he was still pretty babby-ish.

Some tips:

- place most perches low at first
- food/water bowls on the floor of the cage and around the middle
- If you have a grate in your cage, remove it or put a cloth over it so the bird has something to stand on

Does Jade know how to fly yet?

Also, Jade is really cute! :heart: :gccct::heart:

EDIT:
I don't have anything to say about apples and conues, but Kiwi likes when I weave green apple skins through the bars for him to nibble
(side with some apple still on it towards inside of cage)

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
When I brought Kiwi home, he was still pretty babby-ish.

Some tips:

- place most perches low at first
- food/water bowls on the floor of the cage and around the middle
- If you have a grate in your cage, remove it or put a cloth over it so the bird has something to stand on

Does Jade know how to fly yet?

Also, Jade is really cute! :heart: :gccct::heart:

EDIT:
I don't have anything to say about apples and conues, but Kiwi likes when I weave green apple skins through the bars for him to nibble
(side with some apple still on it towards inside of cage)
They have a slight idea how to to fly, as their wings are not clipped. But they're super clumsy at it, lol. We'll have to work on that.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
So here's another question: what should Jade's first day home look like? What should I do on the ride home, as soon as we get home, etc? Should I let them out of the cage asap, or wait a few days for them to settle in? I assume lots of treats will be involved?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Just my 2 cents. I think the “leave the bird in the cage” thing is...ridiculous. Especially when they’re babies. I mean, this baby will have spent some time with you so you’re a known vs the room, house, cage which is unknown.

When I bring one home I usually put it in the cage from 1/2 hour to 2 hours, then go open the door. If it wants to come to me that’s fine. If not that’s okay too. My tiels, Angel, Skittles.... those guys just rolled with it and were ready to come out. Sunshine never even made it to the cage, she got on me and wouldn’t get off.

I do stay sort of quiet with them on a first day. I don’t let the dog around, just sit on the couch and put a small perch beside me.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Yeah, I hope Jade remembers me, I won't be able to see them again until it's time to bring them home. The shop isn't allowing visitors because of COVID-19.

I'm also curious when will be the right time take them upstairs to the Play Zone? That's where everything is, minus the main cage.

d_msparkles

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
When I brought Waffle home, I put a few treats in the cage to entice her to be there. I don’t remember how long until I encouraged her to come out, but I don’t think it was more than a day. You could likely leave the cage door open and see when Jade comes out. Cheekies are VERY curious and like people.
I do remember she was so tired the first day and napped a lot. Don’t be surprised by how much babies nap—they also need a little time on their own to just chill and not be interactive.
I am so excited for you!! I will never forget the feeling of bringing baby Waffle home. It was like Christmas morning.:cantwait:

Diesel13

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Miranda
Question: it seems a lot of people's conures like apples. What types of apples do you give them? Does it matter? Are there certain kinds I should avoid?

Also: grapes. Some people say they're bad, others say they are fine. What's the verdict on that? And can they have strawberries?

I have a little list of things to get: apple, blueberries, almonds, kale, broccoli, baby carrots, bell pepper, peas, and quinoa. Anything I'm missing/should add? Maybe cauliflower?

I plan on cutting it all up and freezing it, that seemed to work pretty well with Chirp's food. Except for maybe the apple, I don't know how well that freezes?
Diesel loves apples and grapes, but I only give them to her every once and awhile. Both fruits have high sugar contents mainly because us humans like sugar, causing fruit today to be selected and grown to have high sugar levels :D However, she does get fruit daily. Usually it's about a grape-sized serving of some type of berry (her fav are blackberries) and sometimes kiwi or dragon fruit.

For making and freezing chop, I'd recommend no fruit. The high water content of fruit doesn't always freeze well and I find it makes for mushy chop, which Diesel is not a fan of. I also have stopped putting peppers directly in my chop due to their high water content as well. They make everything mushy and Diesel prefers them fresh due to the crunch anyway. A fun idea, I buy mini sweet peppers and will serve Diesel a pepper stuffed with chop for her meals every once and awhile. It usually looks like a murder scene when she's done with it! If you can, also search for things like broccoli, watercress, purple cabbage, different types of kale, and dandelion greens to add to your chop. I wash all my produce and then leave it out under a fan to dry till the leaves have wilted. This means most of the water content has evaporated and will mean a less mushy chop :tup: