• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

conure progress (long)

Status
Not open for further replies.

impala400

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Yvonne
I just recently discovered this forum a little while ago but, boy, is it helpful. So, I started clicker training my two new additions about three weeks ago and the results are amazing.
First off, they love sunflower seed so that is the reward and they only get it during training. They absolutely adore training time and are never ready to quit. So far, they will follow and touch the stick and will also spin on command. Clara (black cap) was extremely aggressive and has become much more manageable. In fact, she is stepping up onto my fingers without biting.:dance4: Her cage aggression is also becoming less. Robert (painted) also seems to be leaving his few feathers alone and new ones are coming in. I'm hoping the added entertainment is distracting him. I've been working both at the same time as they are bonded and don't like to be separated. Today, they were both spinning at the same time.:lol:
My question is, where should I go from here? They are extremely quick learners and I would like to keep them interested. Any ideas for a simple trick?
On a side note, as I was training the spin, I was having trouble with Clara until I realized that Robert was left footed and Clara was right footed. As a result, they spin in opposite directions. When I was trying to get Clara to spin the same way as Robert, she wasn't comfortable. However, once I switched directions, she got it.:highfive:

Magic

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
cool im glad to hear there doing good . have you tryed any of the tricks in the book yet?

Chicklet

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jamie
awesome job :) I taught my conure how to wave, shake hands, flap his wings, fly to me, fly to places I point at, give kisses and spin around a perch :) He loves it just like yours do!

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I just recently discovered this forum a little while ago but, boy, is it helpful. So, I started clicker training my two new additions about three weeks ago and the results are amazing.
First off, they love sunflower seed so that is the reward and they only get it during training. They absolutely adore training time and are never ready to quit. So far, they will follow and touch the stick and will also spin on command. Clara (black cap) was extremely aggressive and has become much more manageable. In fact, she is stepping up onto my fingers without biting.:dance4: Her cage aggression is also becoming less. Robert (painted) also seems to be leaving his few feathers alone and new ones are coming in. I'm hoping the added entertainment is distracting him. I've been working both at the same time as they are bonded and don't like to be separated. Today, they were both spinning at the same time.:lol:
My question is, where should I go from here? They are extremely quick learners and I would like to keep them interested. Any ideas for a simple trick?
On a side note, as I was training the spin, I was having trouble with Clara until I realized that Robert was left footed and Clara was right footed. As a result, they spin in opposite directions. When I was trying to get Clara to spin the same way as Robert, she wasn't comfortable. However, once I switched directions, she got it.:highfive:
:dance4::dance4::dance4:That is so great, I am glad it was helpful for you. I think it's great that you recognized that they turn easier in one direction. Great observation skills! You could try "stationing" in the cage to a certain perch, I did this with my cage aggressive bird so that now when I go to put in his food I can say station and he runs up to a perch gets a treat and lets me put his food in the cage. I also like the idea of a wave. I taught Autumn to do a summersault around a perch:)

impala400

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Yvonne
I'll definitely start station training. I've been taking them out to change food and toys. We started waving today. Clara was starting to get it but Robert wasn't quite as quick. I think in a couple days they'll both have it.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I'll definitely start station training. I've been taking them out to change food and toys. We started waving today. Clara was starting to get it but Robert wasn't quite as quick. I think in a couple days they'll both have it.
That's great! The station training is really helpful especially for an aggressive bird. You could also work on a retrieve:)

impala400

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Yvonne
Clara has got the wave! However, I'm not sure that Robert is comfortable enough standing on one foot for this trick. He has toes on both feet that were previously broken and affects his balance somewhat. I'll find something else for him.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.